joshr

Stubborn Network Files

Here is the scenario: From my laptop I move a file to a network folder. From my desktop I open that file edit it and resave it. Now I go back to the laptop and copy the files back. Now I can't delete the files off the network because they "are in use." How do I force delete them?

I think if you log off the network and then back on, you can delete.

I think if you log off the network and then back on, you can delete.

That did seem to work this time but it often does not. It's really annoying.

I've had similar problems on occasion with networked files. It seems to me the Permissions get messed up because I've most often encountered these kinds of problems when trying to restore files from a networked drive.

You might want to try checking/adjusting the Ownership and Permissions in Get Info for the offending files.

Still a PITA (pain in the a..) but has worked for me.

Sometimes for me its Finder that causes that, especially with video files.

I'll click on it in Finder and it starts to generate the preview in the last column, and if I move away to another file or folder before the preview loads all the way then Finder kinda grabs onto it and I cant delete it unless I click on something else, let the preview load, and then click on that file again and wait for it to load and then I can delete it.

Preview also seems to be a program that doesnt let go of files very easily sometimes.

I think you both right. There seem to be a variety of reasons that this happens but it's annoying regardless. It would seem that there should be some free utility that will force it delete regardless.

Firstly, is this an AFP share or SMB share? If it's SMB on a windows machine, chances are it's the oplocks going haywire (which is pretty common on winblows servers with macs). If it's an AFP share then it's more worrying.

Either way, it's your server and not your mac you need to be looking at.