podgirl

Safari 4

I've only played around with it for a few minutes, but can see how it will be fun to use.

Thoughts?

I like the Top Sites, they have enabled me to get rid of the Bookmarks Bar. Combined with the tabs being on the top, I've gotten rid of two "toolbar lines" for a significant increase in browsing area.

However, I don't like that I can't double-click to open a tab anymore, because a double-click in the tab area minimizes the window! I guess I can hit the "+" button but that'll take some getting used to.

As for the speed, I haven't noticed either way.

I think Safari is playing catchup:

* The tab on top copied from Google Chrome

* The Top Sites feature copied from Opera's Speed Dial

* The incremental search copied from Firefox

* The new Javascript engine is to response to Chrome and the new Firefox 3.1

However, I think they are welcome features.

Edited by haivu

Just installed and really like it so far.

Seems VERY zippy.

Will have to see how it works over time.

I'm loving Safari 4, and even in a Beta stage it has many advantages over Safari 3.

The speed up is very welcome, and it just came in when I was testing some Firefox superiorities over Safari 3.

The new features lack some refinement, I just can't understand why TopSites feature is not manageable. We should be able to add sites there and another problem, wich in my case, it selected a post from Gizmodo site. It's considering the one specific news more important than the site root ? Go figure.

Anyway, we should remember that it's still a beta, and some improvements will come and also some optimization. Right now I think it is consuming too many resources like memory and CPU usage. And TopSites feature enables a hidden process called "Safari Webpage Preview Fetcher" that keeps tracks of the sites and it's preview icons. But too much CPU and memory is used in the process. I'm not complaining, but only keeping track to see how it will be in the final version or even see if Snow Leopard will play a big part in this optimization process.

Another thing that I'm loving about Safari 4, is the support of new technologies and standards. If you folks re-visit the opening link wich is:

Safari 4 Welcome Page

And check for it's activity and open debug mode, you'll see that it's not a movie, it's a webpage and the only multimedia file that is loaded is the audio in MP4 format. That makes me wonder how Apple's website will look in the near future.

The only big problem that I have spot so far, is with Mac OS X help system that relies on WebKit system. It's working but not looking as good as before…

Those are my 2 cents on Safari 4 Beta. For those working on WedDesign and WebDeveloping I really encourage installing and testing, the new debug tools are amazing.

Best Regards.

IT GETS 100 ON THE ACID3!!!!! YEAH!!!!!

OK, maybe a bit too enthusiastic, but it's true! :D

So far, my main impression is: FAST. A page that FF3 loads in 6 seconds loaded in S4 in under 4. Everything seems a lot snappier, especially my Joomla admin pages. Even though they're on a slow server, S4 sped them up by a HUGE amount - at least double the speed. And the best thing is that S4 is now compatible with TinyMCE 2 where S3 was not. I think Apple just blew away the rest of the competition with this one, we'll have to see how it pans out using it for an extended period. But so far, I'm highly impressed.

Here is a feature I just found out a minute ago: You can switch tabs by Ctrl+Tab (forward) and Shift+Ctrl+Tab (reverse). I did not like Safari 3 Shift+Command+] (forward) and Shift+Command+[ (backward) key combination: it takes 3 keys and two hands to accomplish the task. The new key combinations can be done with just one hand. That's one key and one hand saving, hurah.

By the way, Firefox has this feature a long time ago. Now I wish Safari can follow Firefox in another area: Command+K for google search instead of the awkward Option+Cmd+F combo.

I think Safari is playing catchup:

* The tab on top copied from Google Chrome

* The Top Sites feature copied from Opera's Speed Dial

* The incremental search copied from Firefox

* The new Javascript engine is to response to Chrome and the new Firefox 3.1

However, I think they are welcome features.

That's okay. I really liked Opera's speed dial! (That's about the only feature I liked in Opera). I'm glad to see Safari utilizing such a powerful tool.

Using safari 4, disrupts mail when using growlmail

It crashes mail. Nothing but removing safari 4 allowed mail to keep/stay/start running.

No safari beta for me in a while

saft v11.0 does work with safari 4.

Besides this crashing of mail safari appears to be nice, but dragging over a selection didnt work so I had to select a bottom part, scroll up and select to the top part to get all of the text selected.

The place of the tabs (in the top) seems a bit odd.

Regards

Rob

I have had no Mail issues but I also didn't load the latest version of Saft. That may be a clue, or it could be my older machine with Tiger.

Looks awesome to me. I am excited to try it out.

From what I've heard, the Mail issue only surfaces when you are also using Growl.

From what I've heard, the Mail issue only surfaces when you are also using Growl.

And that is/was the case. Since I like growl and it is widely adopted in MAC OS X-world it seems the beta for safari is biting mail/growl.

After deletion and rolling back to the previous version all worked fine again.

The issue has been reported to apple.

Cheers,

Rob

I'm sure they'll get that all straightened out by the final version

they had better :))

But then it is part of Snow Leopard so they have to as well.

Rob

Wait when will it officially come out? Where it will update over your current Safari Version? Probably in autoupdate?

Wait when will it officially come out? Where it will update over your current Safari Version? Probably in autoupdate?

It will come out when it's been properly tested.

If you watch your Software Updates, you can easily check the box to not install the new version when it comes out. Personally, I usually wait a few days before installing new Applications.

Yeah, your right. I hope it updates over Safari 3 though, because the beta is a totally different application.