Sign in to follow this  
Walter Koch

Video on MBP

Hello everyone I have another newbie question for you. I have a camcorder (panasonic) mini DVD and wanted to know how to get the video to my MBP so that I can try Imovie ('08). On with the questions.

Can I put the mini DVD in my super drive? Wasn't sure if it would get stuck because it is smaller. I know on a regular "slide out" drive there is a smaller circle in the tray where it fits. The camera also has a AV out port (no firewire or usb ports unfortunately) could I use this to import the video to my MBP? If so what type of cord would I need and would I be able to buy it at Radio Shack? Thanks in advance for any help with this and if this is in the wrong section let me know.

Walt

Sorry Walt. Whatever you do, do NOT place the mini disc into the slot drive. That's one of the problems with camcorders that record directly to DVD ( many computers use slot drives nowadays ). Another issue is that the video is recorded onto the DVD at a lower quality than when recorded to HD or Digital Tape ( it uses a different codec I believe ).

I don't think it would be a good idea to try and import the Video the way you describe as it would even further degrade the quality ( I assume the AV out port is analog ). I would suggest buying a cheap external DVD-ROM player that will play the mini discs and then use a DVD ripper like Handbrake to rip the video.

Edited by Dolphbucs

Sorry Walt. Whatever you do, do NOT place the mini disc into the slot drive. That's one of the problems with camcorders that record directly to DVD ( many computers use slot drives nowadays ). Another issue is that the video is recorded onto the DVD at a lower quality than when recorded to HD or Digital Tape ( it uses a different codec I believe ).

I don't think it would be a good idea to try and import the Video the way you describe as it would even further degrade the quality ( I assume the AV out port is analog ). I would suggest buying a cheap external DVD-ROM player that will play the mini discs and then use a DVD ripper like Handbrake to rip the video.

DolphBucs,

Thanks for the response. [Next dumb questions in a series I'm sure] A DVD player would hook right to my MBP? and then handbrake would rip it to the hard drive?

Walt

Yeah, just get an external usb drive.