andyeb

Mac network/sharing problems

I'm having a lot of problems with sharing between my MacBook Pro (C2D) and my iMac (C2D) over a wireless-N network, via a Linksys WAG325N router, configured to hand out IP addresses via DHCP with a lease time of 1 day. Both machines show full wireless network strength.

Normally my MBP can see the iMac (it's listed in the Finder sidebar) but I can't connect to it, unless switch off airport on both machines, restart the router then enable airport on the Macs again (this causes the Macs to be assigned new IP addresses. Then I can connect in either direction, but a short time later (as little as an hour) it all starts becoming unreliable again.

Today I had an error on my iMac telling me the IP address 192.168.1.100 was already in use, however I was still able to surf the Internet.

The unreliability is really annoying me and wasting a lot of time when I'm trying to sync documents between my MBP and the iMac - I use ChronoSync to do this.

Anyone got any ideas how to troubleshoot this? The router already has the latest firmware installed.

I'm having a lot of problems with sharing between my MacBook Pro (C2D) and my iMac (C2D) over a wireless-N network, via a Linksys WAG325N router, configured to hand out IP addresses via DHCP with a lease time of 1 day. Both machines show full wireless network strength.

Normally my MBP can see the iMac (it's listed in the Finder sidebar) but I can't connect to it, unless switch off airport on both machines, restart the router then enable airport on the Macs again (this causes the Macs to be assigned new IP addresses. Then I can connect in either direction, but a short time later (as little as an hour) it all starts becoming unreliable again.

Today I had an error on my iMac telling me the IP address 192.168.1.100 was already in use, however I was still able to surf the Internet.

The unreliability is really annoying me and wasting a lot of time when I'm trying to sync documents between my MBP and the iMac - I use ChronoSync to do this.

Anyone got any ideas how to troubleshoot this? The router already has the latest firmware installed.

I had a similar problem once - All kinds of weird reliability problems that I couldn't explain. It turned out I had accidentally gotten my router cables swapped. The ethernet cable from my modem to the router was in a LAN port rather than the WAN port, and one of my wired computers was plugged into the WAN port. I never figured out exactly what it was trying to do when the cables were plugged in wrong, but as soon as I swapped the cables everything started working again.

It's a long shot but worth checking...

-Tim

I had a similar problem once - All kinds of weird reliability problems that I couldn't explain. It turned out I had accidentally gotten my router cables swapped. The ethernet cable from my modem to the router was in a LAN port rather than the WAN port, and one of my wired computers was plugged into the WAN port. I never figured out exactly what it was trying to do when the cables were plugged in wrong, but as soon as I swapped the cables everything started working again.

It's a long shot but worth checking...

-Tim

Thanks for your help Tim.

Unfortunately it's an all-in-one ADSL modem and wireless router.

Anyone with any other ideas?

thanks,

Andrew

I have a number of machines - two Macs and three PCs regularly connected to a mixed wired/wireless network at home and I was seeing this kind of thing. Renewing your address lease (in the Network part of control panel) should cause a new IP to be assigned, but this is not a permanent fix.

I found that the most effective way to fix this permanently is to use DHCP but bind IP addresses to the MAC addresses of the individual machines. In this way each machine always receives the same IP address and you'll never get the 'address already in use' error.

Alternatively, if you have a cheap ADSL modem router that doesn't support this feature, simply turn off DHCP on your two Macs and give them fixed IP addresses. You don't need to turn off DHCP on your router, just as long as it doesn't throw a fit at having some fixed IP machines in your network. That way, guests can still connect and use the network without you having to manually configure their hardware.