mynewromantica

Keeping my iMac cool

I kep my imac on a desk with a shelf right above it so it seems to trap a little bit of heat, plus i do a lot of video rendering and gaming, does anyone know how to keep my mac cooler? I am using iStat pro to keep track of the temp and it will get up to almost 200 degrees F. I need some help.

It depends on what temp is going up. I run mine pretty heavy on Folding@Home, and right now my CPU's 139 and the GPU Diode is the hottest at 160. I usually have a tower fan blowing across it to help cool it since I do run F@H, but even when the fan's off and it's really hot in the room I don't remember the diode getting up above 180.

No CPU should go that hot, no matter what. Since your iMac is from sometime in 2008 (it is, right?) you should contact Apple today and see what they say. A temp that high will start to fry your CPU, resulting in a spectacular crash in the not so distant future.

I called Apple and they said that the regular running temperature for the iMac is between 90 and 100. So if any of you have one running hotter than that you should call Apple and get it serviced.

well my imac runs from 50-100 degrees Celsius so thats 122 to 212 fahrenheit. that sounds about right when the fans are set to "default mode" the long of short of that is that apple has, in their infinite wisdom, decided that the fans should run as slow as possible to keep the cpu from overheating and nothing else. so as a result the cpu ends up getting more hot than would be comfortable for it.

heres the solution: get a free menu bar app called "SMC Fan Control" this is completely free and installs itself in the menu bar. it allows you to control the speed of your fans and crank them to 100% rpm even before you need to have your CPU cool down. this way you can keep your iMac and the space around it Cool

(note: your iMacs fans when at 100% are rather noisy, so you may need to raise the volume of your games to drown out the fan noise.)

-tell me if that fixes the temperature of your cubby.

Just for follow up.

I called Apple they said take it to a repair place. I took it to Simply Mac. They said that they cannot replace any parts under Apple Care unless it is causing the computer to shut down and not turn back on. So even tho Apple said it needed to be fixed apple said they won't fix it. Weird huh?

Also the rep at Simply Mac told me that the CPU will automatically shut down before it runs hot enough to do damage. Even more interesting is what aplle has said about their own machines, specifically laptops. They have said that the laptops get hot enough that they do not recommend actually having the machine contact the lap at certain times. Kind of point less to have a laptop you can't have on your lap.

i know this thread is super old by now, but i never cleared up weather or not you were measuring the CPU temperature using Fahrenheit or Celsius?

if you where measuring ºC then 100ºC is where your computer will shut down, but if you where measuring in ºF then 212ºF is where the CPU will shut down.

my first generation MacBook Pro ran extremely hot and after the 3rd "repair" it went from egg cooking temperature to something more sane. there are three things you have to do when getting a Mac repaired. one is don't let the tech monkeys tell you there is nothing they can do. in the case of the 1gen MBP there were 3 revisions during the first six months after it was released. each of them had known heat issues that were eventually resolved through complaining, attrition or by the owner making it an SEP. 2) call Apple Care 800 number. tell them then local bean boys didn't fix your Mac and you want it fixed. stay on them until they send you a box. 3) say the words "intermittently hangs when I'm doing work." doing what? "you know, typing, email, web. it just hangs." so if I stress test it will it do that? "what's stress testing?" dummy mode on the tech will do the logic thing which is replace the logic board hoping that that is the magic that will fix it.

finally the last thing you can do is flip the mac. sell it to somebody you don't know and use the funds to get a more modern machine.

I am in the same situation with a shelf over my iMac. I called Apple and the tech told me unless it is shutting down it is ok, not a good answer as far as I am concerned. I bought a small desk top fan to blow at the intake vent in back of my imac 20" aluminum to help circulate air. This helped somewhat, but then I found SMC Fan Control which is for laptops, but I thought I would give it a try on my imac. It does work to a point to set a new setting for hotter weather conditions and does cool the mac without making to much extra noise from the fans. The fans will rev up a lot if you max out the controls and will do a strange thing in that in some of the components will actually get hotter while other cool off. Give it a try and see what happens.