Recently I've begun to see strange PCs appearing in my Finder under 'shared' devices. I suspect that my neighbours' PC's have had bonjour installed on them and that is why they are now appearing. Is there a way to block this from happening?

Is my diagnosis correct or is there something else going on? The two systems in question appear as PCs and have names that are not the names anyone would give a machine - they have strings of numbers preceded by either 's' or 'mac'.

Recently I've begun to see strange PCs appearing in my Finder under 'shared' devices. I suspect that my neighbours' PC's have had bonjour installed on them and that is why they are now appearing. Is there a way to block this from happening?

Is my diagnosis correct or is there something else going on? The two systems in question appear as PCs and have names that are not the names anyone would give a machine - they have strings of numbers preceded by either 's' or 'mac'.

I think (although I'm not sure) that Bonjour finds devices on the same subnet. How do you and your neighbors connect to the internet? Are you going through a municipal wifi hotspot? An ISP you are subscribed with? Something else?

If you are using a router inside your house you probably have some options here, but if you are directly connecting from one computer to the outside world your options may be limited

-Tim

I think (although I'm not sure) that Bonjour finds devices on the same subnet. How do you and your neighbors connect to the internet? Are you going through a municipal wifi hotspot? An ISP you are subscribed with? Something else?

If you are using a router inside your house you probably have some options here, but if you are directly connecting from one computer to the outside world your options may be limited

-Tim

We are subscribed to an ISP (our cable TV company) and have a modem from them in the house.

We are subscribed to an ISP (our cable TV company) and have a modem from them in the house.

Your cable company could have set up the network so that people within a certain proximity of each other are all on one subnet, and I suspect that would cause you to see other people on the network.

Do you have a router of any kind to allow you to share that connection with multiple computers, or are you running a wired connection straight from your modem into a single computer? If you have a router in place it should be easy to enable NAT routing in a way that would hide your computers from the outside world and, presumably, hide those computers from yours.

-Tim

This is a plain old security issue. If you have a wireless network, you should have at minimum set a wpa password. If you have an open network, this is the most usual cause to this issue.

Our set up is a cable line into the modem the TV/Cable people gave us, from there to a Time Capsule running both wired and wireless internet connections in the house.

The wired and wireless computers are both showing the computers that don't belong to us.

We have a WPA password set on the network and the iMac's are running the OS X firewall.

In that case, I'd change the password. Looks like someone knows it.

Our set up is a cable line into the modem the TV/Cable people gave us, from there to a Time Capsule running both wired and wireless internet connections in the house.

The wired and wireless computers are both showing the computers that don't belong to us.

We have a WPA password set on the network and the iMac's are running the OS X firewall.

I'm no networking whizz, but this seems unlikely. It's a brand new password, and the password is security software generated, ie. it's not my dog's name. Plus, the oddball computers were there before the password change.

Maybe I should try my ISP. :-)

Unless you have Bonjour over WAN configured (and trust me, it's such a pain in the arse to configure, you'd know about it), Bonjour only works on your local subnet. But by all means try your ISP, they might know something I don't (which, without sounding like an arse, is unlikely since I have a degree in computer networking and am an Apple Certified Technical Coordinator).

Another possibility is that you have other devices on your network that Bonjour is finding - do you have a networked printer, NAS or maybe even a games console (do they show up? I've never had one on my network, still rocking the SNES!) on the network?

Unless you have Bonjour over WAN configured (and trust me, it's such a pain in the arse to configure, you'd know about it), Bonjour only works on your local subnet. But by all means try your ISP, they might know something I don't (which, without sounding like an arse, is unlikely since I have a degree in computer networking and am an Apple Certified Technical Coordinator).

Another possibility is that you have other devices on your network that Bonjour is finding - do you have a networked printer, NAS or maybe even a games console (do they show up? I've never had one on my network, still rocking the SNES!) on the network?

There is a PS3 on the Airport network, I suppose that could be one entry. My wife uses some kind of Remote Desktop for work occasionally; I'll have to ask her more about that. Would a virtual (XP on Parallels) machine be another area worth exploring? Only the PS3 is, to my knowledge, on the network at all times.

Hmm, I'll investigate.

Thanks for the tip!

Yep virtual machines definitely show up. We don't actually have any windows machines here, they're all virtual machines running in WMWare, Parallels or Parallels Server and they all show up in the bonjour browser.