rmsmits

way to detect music file source?

I converted a bunch of old cassettes to mp3's, but the quality is not that great. I'm in the process of replacing these files with ones that have been ripped from CD's. Short of listening to a bunch of songs to determine their sound quality, is there a way to quickly tell if a song was ripped from a CD? Checking the bit rate doesn't help because I created the mp3's from the tapes at a high bit rate, but they still don't sound good.

Do you just want to check which songs are Mp3's or do you have other Mp3's in your library?

Do you just want to check which songs are Mp3's or do you have other Mp3's in your library?

I have thousands of mp3's. Most of which are very high quality. I thought perhaps there was a way to check the metadata to see how a file was encoded (ripped from CD vs. created from Griffin's Final Vinyl).

I'd look at all the iTunes tags on one of the songs you know you ripped from cassette. I know that the comments section has tags on things I use Audio Hijack to create. It's possible whatever you used to rip the songs tags things.

Just a thought.

I'd look at all the iTunes tags on one of the songs you know you ripped from cassette. I know that the comments section has tags on things I use Audio Hijack to create. It's possible whatever you used to rip the songs tags things.

Just a thought.

no luck. the meta tags are saying that the song was encoded with itunes when I know it wasn't. <_<

Do they have a lower bitrate and/or sample rate?

In iTunes you can bring up your music library and add a bitrate and/or sample rate (View Options) column to sort by

Unfortunately no. I encoded them at a high bit rate hoping that I'd end up with a good recording, but I think I just ended up creating files that emphasized the short comings of cassette audio (tape hiss, muffled lows, etc). Doh!

It's not too bad for me to go through manually to find the songs, I was just hoping for something to auto detect sound quality for me.

While I cant offer any actual advice, Id suggest looking through http://dougscripts.com/ and maybe theres something there that could help you.

Some interesting stuff on there. Thanks.