gwmac

mobile me

here is my stupid question. i have mobile me. it is time to re up. apple wants 99 buck for renewal. amazon sells mobile me for 69 smackers. if i buy mobile me from amazon can i apply it to my current mobile me account?

thanks

as a secondary thought, why is apple charging 30 dollars more then amazon for an apple service?

Yes, once you get the package from Amazon you can enter the code and you're good. It's what I do.

roog

I'd be surprised if you can extend your old account with a new subscription rather than a renewed one - i.e. you may well have to use a different Member Name et cetera - a bind for most I'd imagine.

Well be prepared to be surprised, since you can do exactly that ;)

You can even buy the code in a foreign country. I bought a Mobile Me code at an Apple Store in Boston and used it for my account here in Canada.

You live and learn. Let's hope I can grab such a bargain when mine runs out in September. On a related tack... I'll be buying a Family Pack of Leopard soon for around 25% less than Apple sell it at - and I don't mean by buying a Single User License and breaking that.

Harry, that's the way it's been working for at least the last two years .... I know because that's the way I always renew .... so I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to do the same in Sept.

thanks all. will buy from amazon. seems like an odd decision for the boys (and girls) from cupertino but what are you going to do.

And it's not just with MobileMe. Amazon is currently selling the new iPod Nano for $133.95. Even if you go to the Apple refurb store, they are selling there for $129 ... once you add the tax ( which Amazon doesn't charge yet in my area ) it brings the price over what Amazon charges for a new one.

I decided not to auto renew my Mobile Me account and instead buy the 5 user family pack from Amazon. I picked up the registration code for around $75 with shipping which is still far cheaper than the auto renewal of $99 through Apple. I was able to save money and set up Mobile Me on 3 other Mac for my two brothers and girlfriend. I am glad that I went this route for sure.

Just out of curiosity, when you did that were you able to transfer your original mobilme address to the new acct ? Or did you have to let the old one go and start a new one in the new acct ?

just to finish the story from my end. bought .mac from amazon at 68 bucks. got a box with a serial number. went to me.com/activate where i was given three options. 1. start new account. 2. activate an expired account. 3. renew current account. i renewed my current account and i now have another year.

no reason to buy from apple. seems pretty non green from a company that states that green is a goal to make amazon waste paper, boxes, gas for the truck all just to get me a serial number for 32% off the apple price. they should let the whole thing proceed electronicaly.

anyway, thanks to all who helped.