MnchstrCityBlues

Spring Cleaning an iMac, whats the best way to do it?

Hi gang, I am not exactly a newbie but what I am preparing to do is totally new to me. I would like to "spring clean" my iMac. Basically, after 3 1/2 years, my iMac G5 (iSight) 20", is showing its age. It is running slower and doing some very quirky things (certain user accounts will not connect to secure sites; iPhone will not stay in "Device List" in iTunes, etc.). I want to wipe the computer clean and start over. Easy enough, but here is my problem: I would like to wipe and start over but retain my user-accounts, programs, etc., but not retransfer all the bad stuff that may be causing problems.

First, what is the best way to "spring clean," step by step and, second, is there a way to keep my user accounts (documents, applications, preferences, etc.) without bringing back the bad that might be causing problems (privilege problems, folder structure problems, etc.)

Thanks!

Sounds like you're looking for Archive and Install.

You can read more about that installation method here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1710

Make sure you have a backup of all your important data. (Music, photos, mail etc)

The Archive and install is what I was thinking but I didn't want to "bring back" the old problems (i.e. privileges, bad file structure, etc.) associates with the one user account (which happens to be my primary user account).

Also, I keep a "mirror" copy of my hard drive on an external hd via super duper. I was thinking that I could wipe the internal hd, install Leopard and then Leopard will "find" the external (as it did when I upgraded) and copy everything over.

Maybe I am putting too much thought into this? lol

The Archive and install is what I was thinking but I didn't want to "bring back" the old problems (i.e. privileges, bad file structure, etc.) associates with the one user account (which happens to be my primary user account).

Also, I keep a "mirror" copy of my hard drive on an external hd via super duper. I was thinking that I could wipe the internal hd, install Leopard and then Leopard will "find" the external (as it did when I upgraded) and copy everything over.

Maybe I am putting too much thought into this? lol

The archive and install takes all of your old stuff and puts it in a single folder on your new install (one that can be tossed after you are sure you don't need it anymore). Just do a clean install and move over essentials (like documents, pictures, videos, and music) from your SuperDuper! backup. Then, install only the applications you are trying to use but aren't there (since it's a clean install, there is no need to go through and install a bunch of apps you might not use ;)). That's how I always do it. That way I'm clearing out old apps and their preference files, and also setting new preference files as I go along. Plus it helps trick myself into thinking I have a new Mac. :)

Edited by groomsy57