MnchstrCityBlues

USB Hubs stop working for no apparent reason

Hey Gang:

Here is the deal, about a month ago I noticed that my iPod and iPhone would occasionally disappear from my Device list in iTunes while plugged in. Both were connected to my computer via a USB hub on my NewerTech miniStack v2. I plugged various devices into the USB slots on the Newertech, and directly into the back of my iMac G5, and determined (or so I thought) that the miniStack was failing me (curiously enough, the firewire still worked on the miniStack).

Well I have since unplugged all USB devices from the miniStackand am using a plain jane iRocks USB 2.0 hub. Unfortunately, as was the case when devices were plugged into the miniStack, devices started to go missing (unmount, fail, whatever you want to call it). It is important to note that the devices never fail when plugged directly into the back of the iMac G5.

Am I looking at a rather large problem with my iMac or have I run across the incredible coincidence of having two USB hubs fail at similar times? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

oh, and the important info:

Hardware Overview:

OS X 10.5.6

Model Name: iMac G5

Model Identifier: PowerMac12,1

Processor Name: PowerPC G5 (3.1)

Processor Speed: 2.1 GHz

Number Of CPUs: 1

L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB

Memory: 2.5 GB

Bus Speed: 700 MHz

Boot ROM Version: 5.2.6f1

USB Bus:

Host Controller Location: Built In USB

Host Controller Driver: AppleUSBOHCI

PCI Device ID: 0x0035

PCI Revision ID: 0x0043

PCI Vendor ID: 0x1033

Bus Number: 0x0b

USB High-Speed Bus:

Host Controller Location: Built In USB

Host Controller Driver: AppleUSBEHCI

PCI Device ID: 0x00e0

PCI Revision ID: 0x0004

PCI Vendor ID: 0x1033

Bus Number: 0x4b

USB2.0 Hub:

Product ID: 0x0606

Vendor ID: 0x05e3 (Genesys Logic, Inc.)

Version: 7.02

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Location ID: 0x4b100000

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 100

USB2.0 Hub Controller:

Product ID: 0x0058

Vendor ID: 0x0409 (NEC Corporation)

Version: 1.00

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: NEC Corporation

Location ID: 0x4b140000

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 100

Do you have the hub plugged into the mains? It could be that the single usb port on your mac can't provide enough power. Also I've noticed that the far right usb port and you're looking at the screen (so the one closest to the edge) supplies more power than the others (at least on current intel imacs - I've not got any G5's left to test this on). I noticed this when we were trying to charge a blackberry (boohiss!). It wasn't getting enough power to charge from any port apart from that specific one.

Do you have the hub plugged into the mains? It could be that the single usb port on your mac can't provide enough power. Also I've noticed that the far right usb port and you're looking at the screen (so the one closest to the edge) supplies more power than the others (at least on current intel imacs - I've not got any G5's left to test this on). I noticed this when we were trying to charge a blackberry (boohiss!). It wasn't getting enough power to charge from any port apart from that specific one.

The Hub that is currently giving me issues is plugged directly into the back of the iMac. The miniStack (which I haven't reconnected via USB) was also plugged directly into the back of iMac. This is a new problem so if its an issue of not enough power, its not enough power only recently (which is troublesome). I wonder if any rubber-chicken antics (i.e. doing a clean install) will help?

Seems like the first thing to do would e to buy another cheap hub and see if that fixes the problem. If it does then you know it's the coincidence that two hubs failed, if not then it's the computer.