sleepingmac

show original from alias on PC

this is a question for someone who is familiar with mac and pc

on mac you can find a file or application from an alias by right clicking on that alias file and choosing "Show Original"... Im trying to do the same thing (locate the original from an alias / shortcut) using a PC running windows vista but cant figure out how. :(

My Mac persona objects to even seeing this question on a Mac forum but I will answer anyway. (This is what makes Mac folks preferred)

I don't use Vista (and hope never to be in that position) but it would seem that one could right-click and bring up the Properties of a Shortcut. In XP there is a Find Target option. I would expect something similar in Vista.

My Mac persona objects to even seeing this question on a Mac forum but I will answer anyway. (This is what makes Mac folks preferred)

I don't use Vista (and hope never to be in that position) but it would seem that one could right-click and bring up the Properties of a Shortcut. In XP there is a Find Target option. I would expect something similar in Vista.

yeah i felt bad asking a pc question in a mac forum. im a mac user myself and know extremely little about pc but trying to help my parents out (they use pc) so i thought that maybe a switcher or someone with a little pc knowledge could help me on this one.

i tried the right click and it does bring up properties however i cant find a path or link to the original file within that..

any ideas? :huh:

On Windows XP, the Properties dialog \ Shortcut tab shows "Target:" with the Windows pathname. There's also a "Find target..." button that will open the enclosing folder of the original. (Hadn't had a reason to launch VMWare in ages.)

Can't help with Vista, either.