Sign in to follow this  
rhatta

Apple Keyboard & Ctrl-alt-del

Hi,

I got the new USB Apple Keyboard sans Numeric Keypad for use with both Mac and PC (the keyboard is connected to a USB switch). Trouble is, I haven't been able to do ctrl-alt-del on the PC. Specifically, I wanted to do ctrl-alt-del twice at the Windows XP login screen to reveal the Administrator login screen.

Is this keyboard capable of doing ctrl-alt-del? If not, I'm thinking of returning it.

If you hold the FN key and hit Delete (which the PC sees as backspace) then it registers as a Delete key, so you might try Ctrl+Alt+FN+Delete

fn-ctrl-option-del = doesn't work

ctrl-option-fn-del = doesn't work

option-cmd-del = doesn't work

ctrl-option-del = doesn't work

(*by del, I mean the key that's labeled "delete" but acts as a backspace key on PCs)

Also, didn't find a firmware .dmg file in the "Boot Camp Assistant.app" bundle for OS X 10.5.6.

Update: I should mention that fn-del does function as a forward delete on Macs, but on PCs it doesn't function as a PC delete out of the box.

Edited by rhatta

According to <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1171>

Note: If you disable the Apple Keyboard Support driver in Windows, Windows will not recognize the extended Function keys, nor the (Fn) key.

And according to Boot Camp Assistant, I can use my OS X install disc to install Apple Keyboard Support for Windows. I'll be giving this a try tomorrow, and will be seeing if it's allowed on a PC.

Installed Boot Camp on a PC using Leopard install disc, but it wouldn't recognize the Apple Keyboard fn key. Instead, Windows XP still identified the keyboard as a generic one. Hmm... I feel like I'm almost there...

If you have room at your desk, plug in any old Windows keyboard for full/normal functionality when in Boot Camp (Parallels/Fusion too, I think), then switch back to that awesome aluminum keyboard when you're back home.

I can't verify at the moment, but off the top of my head it seems when I'm using Boot Camp, Control-Option-Delete works. Try that again. I can verify that, when using Fusion, Fn-Control-Option-Delete gives what Windows recognizes as Ctrl-Alt-Del.

Don't know if it would make any difference, but the actual order I pressed those keys (in Fusion) was Option-Control-Fn-Del. Maybe pressing the Fn right before Delete would make a difference? I don't know for sure, just throwing out some ideas.

Thanks for the comments. Sorry I wasn't very clear in my previous explanation. The fn key works fine on an Apple computer, but I haven't been able to get it to work on a non-Apple computer. I even tried installing Boot Camp for Windows on said non-Apple PC, in hopes that I might be able to install the keyboard driver for it, but this plan didn't work.

Ideally, I wanted to use only the compact Apple Keyboard in a KVM switch-like setup. I ended up keeping the old PS/2 keyboard plugged in to the PC for times when I need the delete key. I also assigned a programmable button on my Logitech MX1100 mouse to function as a delete key as well. And, the whole thing about returning the keyboard was a dumb idea that I have decided against.