saxhorn

streaming video/audio sync

I have a Mac Mini with Intel core solo running OS X.4.11 with 2 gigs of ram. I am experiencing difficulty viewing streaming videos on my Mac. The video is very slow and jerky, and considerably behind the audio, which runs just fine. What can I do to correct this?

Edited by saxhorn

What kind of network connection do you have?

Are you running anything else while trying to view the video?

What kind of network connection do you have?

Are you running anything else while trying to view the video?

I have some applications open, like microsoft office, but I'm not running anything like games. I have external speakers and an idle external hard drive on. Is that what you mean?

I have some applications open, like microsoft office, but I'm not running anything like games. I have external speakers and an idle external hard drive on. Is that what you mean?

Oh, connection. I have 1k dsl.

If it's flash video you're trying to view, you're definitely going to have to close down every other app on a core solo. There just isn't enough grunt in it for flash when you're running anything else.

If it's flash video you're trying to view, you're definitely going to have to close down every other app on a core solo. There just isn't enough grunt in it for flash when you're running anything else.

It's better with all other applications besides Safari closed down, but still jerky. At least the sync is closer. Is my only solution a new computer?

Well, the latest version of Flash (10) is better on intel macs than the version that ships with OS X. Try installing that first. Another thing to check is when you're viewing the video, open up activity monitor and see how much CPU is available. If it's maxed out and you're on the latest version, then it looks like a new machine is the only way forward. I can't confirm the performance of flash 10 on a core solo as we don't have any machines with anything less than a core duo here.

Well, the latest version of Flash (10) is better on intel macs than the version that ships with OS X. Try installing that first. Another thing to check is when you're viewing the video, open up activity monitor and see how much CPU is available. If it's maxed out and you're on the latest version, then it looks like a new machine is the only way forward. I can't confirm the performance of flash 10 on a core solo as we don't have any machines with anything less than a core duo here.

Thanks,

I installed Flash 10, and the performance is better. The video is still jerky, but the picture is contemporaneous with the audio and not lagging by 10s of seconds. My activity usage is through the roof with no extra CPU headroom. Looks like I need to move into the 21st century.