Sign in to follow this  
Bobby Ogata

What to do about my old Mac Mini

I have a 1st gen Mac Mini with a 1.25Ghz G4 processor, running Mac OS X Tiger. At this point it's 4 years old and getting quite sluggish. I am in no financial condition to purchase a new computer. the memory is maxed out at 1GB. I would like to do what can to preserve it for another few months. The internal super drive does not work anymore, and just spits out any cd or dvd I put in it. I have an external USB dvd burner, but I have read that PPC macs won't boot from a USB drive. I've run Onyx on several occasions and that doesn't really help.

Is there anything else I can do other than reinstalling the OS or running Onyx to help rejuvenate it?

Edited by Bobby Ogata

Do you have a firewire hard drive (even an old iPod with firewire will do)? If so, you can use disk utility to clone your OS X disk to a hard drive and then you'll be able to reinstall OS X through that.

Is there anything else I can do other than reinstalling the OS or running Onyx to help rejuvenate it?

I have one of the same Minis. Nice machine but the sluggishness gets to me too. If you don't feel like reloading the system maybe take a look at doing some disk defragging. That has helped me.

You are looking at the end of this machines life as a primary machine though. I would start saving. I'm going to turn mine into a media server. Should still be really good for that.

Unfortunately I don't have any firewire devices. I recently had a firewire DVD burner, but it crapped out on me. I will try to defrag the HD and see if that helps. The OS has been installed for over 2 years now, so I imagine the disk is pretty scattered.

I'm hoping by the end of the year, to replace it with a new or refurbished Intel iMac. I saw a 20" on apple.com for $800.

Unfortunately I don't have any firewire devices. I recently had a firewire DVD burner, but it crapped out on me. I will try to defrag the HD and see if that helps. The OS has been installed for over 2 years now, so I imagine the disk is pretty scattered.

I'm hoping by the end of the year, to replace it with a new or refurbished Intel iMac. I saw a 20" on apple.com for $800.

I have bought and recommended several refurbs. The only time I got burned was when I bought a refurb in an actual Apple Store. If you get one be sure to get it from Apple.com. I think they go through them better.

my G4 mini was starting to give me beachballs all the time. I ended up replacing the harddrive which helped immensely. For almost all tasks, I can barely tell the difference between my 1.5 GHz G4 mini with 1 GB ram and the 3 GHz imac C2D with 4 GB that I use at work. You should easily get a few more months out of it.

I have bought and recommended several refurbs. The only time I got burned was when I bought a refurb in an actual Apple Store. If you get one be sure to get it from Apple.com. I think they go through them better.

The ones in store are "refreshed", which is a little different. "Refreshed" are ones that are returned and they are checked out in store. "Refurbished" are ones where they are sent back to Apple (usually something was wrong with them) and they are fixed, tested, and sent out. Don't mean to nit-pick, but thought I'd shed some light on that.