Sign in to follow this  
eXtreme

To download or not to download

Hey guys, I currently having a problem figuring out if I should by some albums from iTunes (or even Amazon MP3) or to by the full CD. I normally download albums or songs that I like but this time it is for 2 bands that I would class as 2 of my favorite bands of all time (Porcupine Tree and No-Man). I know that iTunes has got better with all the iTunes plus stuff but would you buy albums that you know you will love by artists that you really expect and look up to or just download it. Pricing wise iTunes is cheaper but the CD's do come with the odd bit of exclusive postcards and stuff like that.

The other thing is that one of the masterminds behind both of these bands is Steven Wilson who not only sings, plays guitar, plays piano etc etc but he is also a producer, and produces alot of his own work. He is a master at this and his music reflex's it. There is little things in the background all the time as the music changes, You could hear the songs a hundred times and still be hearing things you have never heard before. The point to all this is do you think that even with higher quality iTunes plus music i will still get that same feeling. I wish iTunes would download in .FLAC but that is just not going to happen anytime soon. All though the band's website does let me download in .FLAC, but at the same price as the CD

What would you guys do?

Hey guys, I currently having a problem figuring out if I should by some albums from iTunes (or even Amazon MP3) or to by the full CD. I normally download albums or songs that I like but this time it is for 2 bands that I would class as 2 of my favorite bands of all time (Porcupine Tree and No-Man). I know that iTunes has got better with all the iTunes plus stuff but would you buy albums that you know you will love by artists that you really expect and look up to or just download it. Pricing wise iTunes is cheaper but the CD's do come with the odd bit of exclusive postcards and stuff like that.

The other thing is that one of the masterminds behind both of these bands is Steven Wilson who not only sings, plays guitar, plays piano etc etc but he is also a producer, and produces alot of his own work. He is a master at this and his music reflex's it. There is little things in the background all the time as the music changes, You could hear the songs a hundred times and still be hearing things you have never heard before. The point to all this is do you think that even with higher quality iTunes plus music i will still get that same feeling. I wish iTunes would download in .FLAC but that is just not going to happen anytime soon. All though the band's website does let me download in .FLAC, but at the same price as the CD

What would you guys do?

I still buy actual CDs of my favorite bands even if they usually end up being stored after I rip them into itunes. It's a built-in backup system and there's just something nice about having the actual CD with the actual artwork.

I would also go with buying the actual CDs. It sounds like you would get a lot of value from them and as you say, there is a difference in the sound quality. We're even getting back into vinyl at our house. :rolleyes:

What would you guys do?

I know that everyone likes the quality of CDs, but truthfully, CDs are compressed about as much as those tracks you'll buy online these days (via iTunes or Amazon) and most humans cannot hear a difference past 160 kbps (much less the 256 the tracks from iTunes and Amazon come with). You won't hear any difference (unless you have extremely sensitive hearing, which you might) between a CD and the digital tracks you can buy, as long as those tracks were encoded properly. Now, if you want all the goodies that come with the album, get that. I don't really think there is a wrong answer to this problem. haha