MacCast

Welcome to Automator

Hey Mac Geeks. A couple times on the show the topic of Automator has come up. I personally think it is one of those great, but under used, technologies available in Mac OS X. I am personally guilty of not using it to the fullest. To help us all with this situation I set up this forum where you can discuss and share thoughts and ideas, tips and trick, on all things Automator. I hope you find it useful. Please feel free to share links to other Automator resources as well as your own code snippets and Automator workflows.

Note: Automator is a great, easy to use, and very powerful tool. Workflows written in Automator are full programs. This forum is an open system. If you download code or complete workflows there is no implied warranty or claim that the code is secure. Please use your own discretion when running programs and code downloaded from ANY online source. I am sure the Maccast community will help police this forum, but you are ultimately responsible for your own fate. Have fun, but be safe.

HI there,

not a new Mac user but never previously used any automator/script stuff. I've found elswhere on this forum how to use apple script and iCal to check and download new podcasts for me in the middle of the night. I have a very slow and limited internet connection due to working on a boat with many other people onboard. Is there someway i could use Automator to write a program to open up an application i use (Zinio Delivery Manager) for downloading magazine subscriptions and download in the middle of the night so as not to bring the whole network onboard to a grinding halt?

thanks

gb

Could I use Automator as part of my backup strategy?

For example, I recently edited a book which had 20 chapters. Each chapter had its own folder within a single 'master' folder. Also, each chapter had several versions, as I regularly 'save as' (in Word for Mac) and create a new version - in case Word crashes!

So, would it be possible to devise a workflow which I could apply to the master folder and Automator would: find the latest version of each chapter, duplicate it, and transfer the twenty duplicates to my 'backup' folder?

Thanks!

John.

Probably. i was using an automator script to condense several key folders into zip files and upload them to iDisk automatically. The key was an add on script for automator that would get smart folder contents. You can find it here...

http://automatorworld.com/archives/get-smart-folder-contents/

Because i was working with some larger files, and the upload time to iDisk was long i was having them zipped. You could probably get away with not zipping the files.

Probably. i was using an automator script to condense several key folders into zip files and upload them to iDisk automatically. The key was an add on script for automator that would get smart folder contents. You can find it here...

http://automatorworld.com/archives/get-smart-folder-contents/

Because i was working with some larger files, and the upload time to iDisk was long i was having them zipped. You could probably get away with not zipping the files.

Nice one. Thanks a lot!