CELICA XX

Who is sick of their iPhone?

Has anyone just became tired of their phone yet ?

I have the original 8GB iPhone and have become fed up with being FORCED to pay an extra $20 a month for the crappy EDGE service. Wi-Fi is great, but EDGE is almost "un-usable." I would never pay 30 a month for the 3G model either.

I am going back to a regular phone.

Anyone else ?

I have the original 8GB iPhone and have become fed up with being FORCED to pay an extra $20 a month for the crappy EDGE service. Wi-Fi is great, but EDGE is almost "un-usable." I would never pay 30 a month for the 3G model either.

Anyone else ?

Um... nope. I still use my iPhone a LOT (almost more than my computer), and I've had it almost two years now. Edge works just fine for me, although at home I do use WiFi. (I also have the original 8 GB iPhone). I mean, obviously WiFi is faster, but Edge works great when I'm not in a WiFi area. I've never had a problem except when way out of cell phone reception (like out in the woods or on the beach or something).

I remember when I had a little flip phone from Verizon. I used to try to get mobile internet on it. Now that was unusable!! It would take 10 minutes to load one page and then it would only be a cheap text version of the site - not even close to what the real site offered. The iPhone is WAY better than that.

Seriously, I'm never going back to a "real" phone again.

Anyone else ?

When the 3G iPhone came out, I still had the EDGE iPhone. The day the new one came out, I dropped my EDGE iPhone in the toilet. I didn't want to pay all that money for a new iPhone, but the thought of switching to another phone from this one was even worse. The $30 is well worth the 3G. I just wish they combined unlimited web and text into a $35 a month or something like that. That would be the best! But yeah, I'll never go to a different phone as long as iPhones are being made and their quality continues to stay at this level (i.e. their features remain comparable to other phones). I have a friend of mine who is thinking about getting an iPhone just for the browser alone. No one wants the crappy browsers that come with other phones anymore. Even Blackberry browsers are terrible. I know the iPhone isn't the "complete" internet (missing Flash, Java, etc) but it's a much better implementation than anything else.

Having said all that, you could get an old school phone and rock an iPod Touch. I would get frustrated with not being connected all the time, but that might be up your alley. Good luck!

It's going on two years for me and I absolutely love my iPhone still. I had a rough start in the beginning with a bad unit, but I have been quite satisfied with it ever since. Sure it is a drag to pay more, but I use the iPhone for so much more than just a phone and that is worth the extra cost.

<remove apple fanboy hat>

My iPhone has saved me countless hours over the last 2 years.

AT&T services is rock solid in Northern VA.

The $20 / month is just about the best deal available for an unlimited data plan. If it helps, think of it as $15 / month for unlimited data and $5 for 200 txt messages.

</remove apple fanboy hat>

Yeh, this is baiting almost worthy of John Dvorak.

Nope, not tired of it at all. Just the opposite.

I have the original 8G myself. ATT may not be the best service but it has worked fine for me wherever I've been. San Francisco, Sacramento, Napa, most of Minnesota, a big chunk of Wisconsin, pieces of Iowa and to Sturgis and back. Far from perfect but much better than the plan I had with Sprint. I've paid $5 less per month than I was paying for imitation web access (it would be $10 less if I hadn't discovered texting) from Sprint. Plus, collectively the apps are the VisiCalc of the mobile phone market (I know, apps were available for Windows mobile and the Palm, etc. but it took a geek to buy, install and use them).

Apple has done to the phone market the same thing they did to the MP3 player. They haven't dominated like they do the MP3 player market and probably never will, but they changed the rules and made everybody else up their game to compete.

Not even the Palm Pre interests me much. Especially since it's a Sprint device.

Nope, keeping mine, might upgrade, would buy yours for a reasonable price if you're serious about going back to just a phone.

Yeh, this is baiting almost worthy of John Dvorak.

Nope, not tired of it at all. Just the opposite.

I have the original 8G myself. ATT may not be the best service but it has worked fine for me wherever I've been. San Francisco, Sacramento, Napa, most of Minnesota, a big chunk of Wisconsin, pieces of Iowa and to Sturgis and back. Far from perfect but much better than the plan I had with Sprint. I've paid $5 less per month than I was paying for imitation web access (it would be $10 less if I hadn't discovered texting) from Sprint. Plus, collectively the apps are the VisiCalc of the mobile phone market (I know, apps were available for Windows mobile and the Palm, etc. but it took a geek to buy, install and use them).

Apple has done to the phone market the same thing they did to the MP3 player. They haven't dominated like they do the MP3 player market and probably never will, but they changed the rules and made everybody else up their game to compete.

Not even the Palm Pre interests me much. Especially since it's a Sprint device.

Nope, keeping mine, might upgrade, would buy yours for a reasonable price if you're serious about going back to just a phone.

The iPhone is an amazing multifunction device, but as an actual phone, it's next to useless - I've owned both a 3G and 3GS (since each came out) and rarely completed a call without it being dropped and having to redial. To be fair, I think it's partly the crowded network (O2 here in the UK in my case), but I know lots of other people have issues in this area as well.

I now have the 3GS and still have have never had a single dropped call since I bought the original. So, I guess it's the 'results may vary' experience.

I now have the 3GS and still have have never had a single dropped call since I bought the original. So, I guess it's the 'results may vary' experience.

I have the odd dropped call (out of hundreds of calls a month) but I also spend a lot of time on it driving the 50K miles a year from North Carolina to customers around the SE US.

Edited by 2farrell

I have a hate, hate, love relationship with my iPhone.

hate) the iPhone is the worst phone I've ever had. it drops calls. it mangles words. it's hard to hear if you don't have it laser aligned to your inner ear. my old Nokia or even my Blackjack worked better then the POS phone part of iPhone. granted I live in San Francisco where everyone has an iPhone making AT&T more of the suck compared to anywhere else. I can walk around a corner and suddenly get 4 TXT message and notification of a missed call or 2. if I didn't have to have a phone for work related stuff I would stop using phone entirely.

hate) you know that Steve doesn't actually used the thing has an iPod because it's the worst iPod I've used. specifically there is no way to see all the words of a long title. doesn't matter if it's a podcast or a story or something else you can't see the end part. a friend of mine is listening to Snow Crash on RANDOM because there is no way to see the chapter numbers. also, you have the click headphone you have to take the phone out of your pocket to skip or select a new thing to listen to. annoying.

love) I don't have to carry my MacBook Pro)totype around anymore. there's not a reason as the iPhone does just about everything I need when I'm out.

In the UK the iPhone is even better than it was before. When it first came out you were tied to an 02 contract, but now you can get it on other networks, so you're not tied to 02. It's much better, because you can also get it on pay as you go as well as contracts.

Edited by R94N

No you don't, you can get it on pay as you go.

While the browser on the iphone is better than any other phone, I still find it brutal compared to a desktop or laptop. Just reading something is fine, but I tried to book a rental car with one and it was just plain frustrating. I gave up.

Like Huskermn, I live in Minnesota but my iPhone experience has been very different. When my phone actually rings with an incoming call I'm elated. More often than not it goes straight through to VM and I get an alert telling my a call was missed and I have new message -- no ring. This has been consistent with all three iPhone models.

A couple weeks back I dropped and basically killed my iPhone 3GS (tears) and am currently using a 3G as I await the arrival of the next Jesus Phone. I've also tested reception with another non-iPhone handset and have had the exact same network issues. AT&T has been receptive and even helpful about my reception woes -- definitely better than they've been in the past. That said, I have a darn expensive plan that works intermittently at best. And while cheerful, helpful customer service agents are a plus, they don't allow me to make or receive calls.

If and when the iPhone 4G is released on another network I'll be taking a close look at my options. I have no qualms about buying my way out of my contract if another provider appears to be a better option. That said, I'll keep an eye on AT&T as well. My only fear is that the iPhone herd will move to Carrier X and take the network overload with them. Then I'd just be where I started -- with a semi-functioning iPhone experience.