Sign in to follow this  
Ceoltoir

iTunes Sharing - SOLVED

i've tried searching for this, but i guess i don't know how to search it properly. What i need to do is have the itunes library of a different user account show up as a shared library on my main account (and visa versa) without having the laptop connected to a network.

Right now i have a lot of recordings for work in an itunes library of a different user account that i will need from time to time when teaching. i'd like to be able to have that show up as a shared library, and have my main library shared in the other user account so that i don't have to switch back and forth all the time. Using Tiger this worked like a charm, but with Leopard they only seem to share when my powerbook is connected to a network. i don't have a network connect at work nor am i likely to get one. Is there a setting i am missing?

i've tried searching for this, but i guess i don't know how to search it properly. What i need to do is have the itunes library of a different user account show up as a shared library on my main account (and visa versa) without having the laptop connected to a network.

Right now i have a lot of recordings for work in an itunes library of a different user account that i will need from time to time when teaching. i'd like to be able to have that show up as a shared library, and have my main library shared in the other user account so that i don't have to switch back and forth all the time. Using Tiger this worked like a charm, but with Leopard they only seem to share when my powerbook is connected to a network. i don't have a network connect at work nor am i likely to get one. Is there a setting i am missing?

I have not tested this yet, but What i would try is going into the itunes Preferences and make the iTunes folder a folder in your /Users/Shared folder. Do this in both of your accounts. You may have to add the songs to both iTunes eperatly but I think it should work.

That's exactly what I do, and no, you do not have to add the songs twice. Just copy the desired iTunes folder ( library, music and all ) to the shared folder. The next time you launch iTunes from any of your user accts, hold down the option key. This will give you the chance to select a new or different iTunes library. Select the library you just moved to the shared folder and you are all set. The only problem I have encountered is that you cannot have the same iTunes library open in two user accts at the same time ( when using fast user switching for example ).

In days gone by, I did this a lot (using fast user switching with two copies of iTunes with different libraries to share between accounts), but hadn't needed to recently. Just for fun, I tried it out under Leopard 10.5.6 with iTunes 8.1.1 on my Intel iMac. Seemed to work find. Since you mentioned not having network, I pulled the Ethernet cable and changed my network to a new location with all the iMac's network ports (Ethernet, Airport, Bluetooth, Firewire) turned off. It still worked fine for me.

It does, of course, require that both accounts be logged on (one in background) and running iTunes, and that both iTunes have Internet Sharing enabled, but since you've done this before, I assume you've checked that. Since you have no network at work, you probably aren't using any 3rd party firewall or Little Snitch or any such network tool that might get in the way.

Thanks for the responses. i tested your idea with internet sharing, and that seems to do the trick perfectly without having to move libraries around. You guys are the best.