bren

new ipod touch

I was thinking of buying a new ipod touch if it comes out but I was wondering if it is worth it. There are so many deals out for the old one and i don't want to have to buy a new alarm clock because it can't charge my new ipod. What do you think?

The older ( ver 2 ) iPod touch also has the charging issues but there is an adapter out there that will let the old devices charge the new iPods. As far as getting a new iPod touch if one is released in June, I would just buy a ver 2 and do the software upgrade for $10. If what you meant was buying a ver 1 iPod Touch ( 1st model ), I would stay away from those. The lack of a built in speaker and external volume controls make it a whole different experience

Yeah, then just buy the upgrade for $10 ... the current model will be just fine

Unless you're absolutely desperate, why not wait a few weeks? There's a high probability that new models will be announced soon.

Old stock 2nd Gen Touches will be discounted even more when the 3rd Gen comes out. Plus, maybe you'll want one of the new models, because of the features. According to rumours, Apple may well add a camera and increase the CPU speed. At least give yourself the chance to make the decision to buy one.

Frankly, I don't believe the rumors too much. I mean some rumors also state that Apple will release a tablet that will bridge the gap between the iPhone and netbooks ... which rumor should you believe ? IMO adding a camera would make the touch even more like the iPhone and dilute the demand for any new such device. As far as Processor speed, how many people even know the speed of the current touch ? It's just not as big a selling point as it is in a laptop or iMac. All current apps being developed for 3.0 software are being designed with the current speed in mind anyway. All the features of the new 3.0 software are supported by the current hardware so I just don't see the incentive for Apple to upgrade the touch yet ... unless of course they do not release any other significant hardware and just want to boost sales. Either way we'll find out soon enough I guess.

That being said, I do agree that if possible it would be prudent to wait until after WWDC though just in case ... and you never know, they might even drop the price of the current model even if they don't change the hardware.

Interesting that for the Touch and iPhone that WWDC has become the new MacWorld for other Macs. I think it's justified but also find it interesting.

Frankly, I don't believe the rumors too much. I mean some rumors also state that Apple will release a tablet that will bridge the gap between the iPhone and netbooks ... which rumor should you believe ? IMO adding a camera would make the touch even more like the iPhone and dilute the demand for any new such device. As far as Processor speed, how many people even know the speed of the current touch ? It's just not as big a selling point as it is in a laptop or iMac. All current apps being developed for 3.0 software are being designed with the current speed in mind anyway. All the features of the new 3.0 software are supported by the current hardware so I just don't see the incentive for Apple to upgrade the touch yet ... unless of course they do not release any other significant hardware and just want to boost sales. Either way we'll find out soon enough I guess.

That being said, I do agree that if possible it would be prudent to wait until after WWDC though just in case ... and you never know, they might even drop the price of the current model even if they don't change the hardware.

I don't hold much credence to rumours either, mostly I read rumours for the "what if" fun. However, it seems likely that a new iPhone will be announced soon, and therefore to expect some changes to spill over to the Touch, as the Touch is the iPhone's cousin without the telephony options.

A faster CPU would be attractive upgrade, as even when using a wifi connection, page rendering can be slow on the iPhone/Touch. This is definitely not because of connection speed, as iPhone users frequently comment on the fast speeds they've experienced on their Macs when using the iPhone's untethered 3G connection.

You've probably already seen this article, but if not have a read of Gruber's article The Next iPhone.

If indeed a CPU upgrade happens it will be interesting to see if there is any negative impact on battery life.

when do you think the new iphone and ipod touch will come out. In the Maccast released on the 20th the people where saying it might not be released till the end of August.