iRMac

MyBook External Hard Drive

I hooked up this Mybook 1Tb External Hard Drive to a few macbooks of my family and was able to back them up fine. Now I want to connect the MyBook to my family pc but when I do, it beeps but doesn't show it in My Computer. Did it get formatted to Mac and will now not work for PC? How can I get it to work on both and just back up each computer about once a month?

Thank You.

To find out the format plug it into a Mac and do a right-click (or a control-click) on the icon and look under "General". If it's in an Apple format then you've got three choices...

1. Buy and install MacDrive on your Windows computer - this allowing Mac format drives to be seen by such and allow read and write - but bear in mind the licence may be per computer.

2. Format the drive to FAT32 on a Windows computer - providing you can get it to see it - the trial edition of MacDrive maybe helping you here. You will, however, lose all the contents.

3. Format the drive to NTFS on a Windows computer. Again, you will lose all the contents. Install MacFUSE - which is free - on your Macs. I have, however, found it unreliable in that it fails to write when the drive is gets to around 80% used.

If you use a non-Apple format you will not be able to use Time Machine - I think.

Additional... You may be able to partition the drive with one partition for Windows and another for OS X - something I'm afraid I know nothing about - though given that I was recently given an "old" Sony Vaio laptop running Windows the geek in me reckons I'll be finding out soon.

Edited by Harry_The_Bustard

Just a note about formatting to FAT-32, if you did it in Windows then you can only make a partition 32GB.

But a Mac can format a disk to FAT-32 larger then that. But with FAT-32 you cant have any files over 4GB in size.

I moved this topic because it's a PC question, not a Mac question.

No prob Husker,

So yes they were used on a Mac first, how can I partition it do half can be used on Windows?

I believe you can do this thru Disk Utility ( assuming that you are running Leopard and the disk was formatted "Mac OS Extended and the partition map scheme is GUID ). Click on the drive ( not the volume but the actual home drive ) in disk utility. Under "Volume Scheme" you will see a vertical rectangular box. The top part will be shaded blue ( this represents the used portion of the drive ) and at the lower right corner there is the familiar "window handle" we all use to resize windows in OS X. Grab that handle and drag upwards until the box touches the bottom of the shaded area ( leaving a blank space below ). Now, click the + below the Volume scheme area and this will allow you to name a second partition ( volume ). Click apply and this will create the second partition. I think this new partition will also be formatted OS Extended ( can't remember if it gives an option of format at this stage )so now you may need to click on the new partition and select Erase up top. The erase function will allow you to reformat that volume to Fat32 to allow use with both Windows and the Mac of that partition

Note: This will perform a non-destructive function so your data should be fine but please back up before you do this just in case

Edited by Dolphbucs

I don't see FAT32 just MS-DOS FAT, so I used that, thanks DolphBucs!

Edited by iRMac

I don't see FAT32 just MS-DOS FAT, so I used that, thanks DolphBucs!

Quite Welcome and like Tyranicus posted MS-DOS FAT is what you wanted ... I just get my OS terminologies mixed up from time to time LOL

Quite Welcome and like Tyranicus posted MS-DOS FAT is what you wanted ... I just get my OS terminologies mixed up from time to time LOL

You aren't mixed up. It is FAT-32, it's just that Mac OS refers to FAT-32 as MS-DOS FAT. As a side note, FAT is the bane of my existence. haha