ActionAnt

Sync sent items over POP3?

Hey everybody

I have a question which has been bothering me for quite a while, but since it hasn't been a priority I haven't done much about it until now.

I have an Intel Macbook Pro and use Mac Mail for my email. Mac Mail is setup to connect to my company's MS Exchange email server via POP3. Sending and receiving email from Mac Mail through the Exchange box works without any hangups.

Often tho, when I don't have web access on my Mac, I access my emails from the Outlook Web Access to the Exchange box. Received emails get downloaded as normal into Mac Mail when I go online with my Mac later in the evening, but what about the emails that I send using Outlook Web Access? How do I download my sent emails into Mac Mail's Sent folder?

Thanks for your help.

Anton

This isn't possible with POP. If your company's server has IMAP enabled, that's the way to go. Syncing of everything.

This isn't possible with POP. If your company's server has IMAP enabled, that's the way to go. Syncing of everything.

By "everything" do you mean calendar as well?

Is there a risk of losing my mail in Mac Mail by deleting the current POP account and creating a new IMAP account?

No, calendaring isn't covered by the IMAP protocol. Yes, you will loose whatever email is on your mac when you delete the pop account. Everything that is in your exchange account will come down onto your mac with the imap account. Of course, you can add your existing mail to the imap account by simply dragging and dropping the emails into the appropriate place.

No, calendaring isn't covered by the IMAP protocol. Yes, you will loose whatever email is on your mac when you delete the pop account. Everything that is in your exchange account will come down onto your mac with the imap account. Of course, you can add your existing mail to the imap account by simply dragging and dropping the emails into the appropriate place.

Thanks I'll give it a couple of tests after tonights backup.

I have an Intel Macbook Pro and use Mac Mail for my email. Mac Mail is setup to connect to my company's MS Exchange email server via POP3. Sending and receiving email from Mac Mail through the Exchange box works without any hangups.

Often tho, when I don't have web access on my Mac, I access my emails from the Outlook Web Access to the Exchange box. Received emails get downloaded as normal into Mac Mail when I go online with my Mac later in the evening, but what about the emails that I send using Outlook Web Access? How do I download my sent emails into Mac Mail's Sent folder?

I have a solution that might work for you, if'n you're still interested, though some may consider it a bit of a kluge.

I have two Macs that I want to sync emails between, one a desktop and the other a laptop, and I use Thunderbird (I never took to Mac's Mail), so that may affect how things work, but here goes:

1. Whenever I send an email, I also automatically send a blind copy (bcc) to myself. Under 'Copies & Folders' in the account settings this step involves checking the box for "Bcc these email addresses:" and entering my email address.

2. I have my mail client (Thunderbird, as I said) set to NOT delete emails upon download. Under 'Server Settings' in the account settings this step involves checking the box "Leave messages on server." Since I'm sometimes away from my desktop for considerable lengths of time, I don't have a set time limit, but I also don't have a limit of how much email I can have in my (main email) account.

3. Then I set up a filter to automatically dump emails from myself, from each specific account, into the 'Sent' folder for that account. There are a couple ways this step can be done, but perhaps the easiest is to select an email sent as a copy, go to 'Message' (at the top line; I forget what it's called, and don't much care) and go to "Create Filter From Message ...". Then direct it to your 'Sent' folder and have it marked as 'Read'.

There you have it. Simple. It ain't purty, may be, but it works. It CAN be done using POP.

Of course, the actual steps using Mail and Outlook are likely to be different, but I assume all of them can be done.

In your case, just the automatic bcc and the filter might be all you need. Though all of it could be done manually, which I used to do a decade ago when I worked it out.

(Three things I've never cared for, Mac's Mail, MS's Outlook, and IMAP.)

Edited by Hans

Thanks, I found a solution which works for me although it is a manual process.

In Outlook Web Access, I move all my Sent items to my Inbox.

They then download to my inbox in Mac Mail afterwhich I move them again to the Sent Items Folder in Mac Mail.

This seems to work fine for my purposes.