Lexonex

iTune Files Keep Appearing on Desktop

I have been on the Apple discussion boards and have found two similar posts regarding my issue. Both posts have gone unanswered. I can't figure it out......

Any support pages or support you can direct me to would be appreciated.....

"Having the same issue here. Before it started it would ask me what library I wanted to use prior to launching iTunes. For some reason, iTunes keeps throwing files onto my desktop. What gives? I can't figure it out. I mostly listen to podcasts and I will refresh my podcasts to download the latest ones and then close iTunes and boom...I get all these files thrown to my desktop...HELP"

Here is the latest...keep moving the iTunes files to the trash. even restarted the mac. The files would appear on the desktop just before the mac went off. So, moved them to the trash and then turned off the mac by holding in the start button. Not good. When I opened iTunes now I have nothing but a dark/black screen where my music and podcasts were. iTunes 8.2 WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME?

That is interesting. I've not heard of that problem before. The only thing I can suggest is to go into your Preferences then under Advanced just make sure you know where your library path is. You may need to change it or try the reset button and see if this helps.

Here's a pic for reference:

398304354A2A8B8D7086D_m.png

I may be completely off track here, I just hope this helps.

Apple Geek

That is interesting. I've not heard of that problem before. The only thing I can suggest is to go into your Preferences then under Advanced just make sure you know where your library path is. You may need to change it or try the reset button and see if this helps.

Here's a pic for reference:

398304354A2A8B8D7086D_m.png

I may be completely off track here, I just hope this helps.

Apple Geek

yes yes,, i have done that...over and over....

Here is the latest.......lost all my music and podcasts....playlists gone...BUT those files keep appearing on my desktop....scratching my head here......banging my head.....

Well, well well...How to defeat this thing...I'm starting to get post traumatic flash backs of my XP-Vista experiences where I had to spend a week-end to get something to work and/or fixed. Once again a synopsis of the problem. upon opening iTunes and then closing I continue to get iTune files thrown on to my desktop. sometimes many and sometimes only two: "iTunes Library 2009-06-01" and a "iTunes Library 2009-06-1.xml"....So, here is where I am at:

Went through different ways of putting them into the trash..ended up losing all my music, applications and podcasts being held in iTunes. The applications were reinstalled when I hooked up my iPod touch and did a "transfer of purchases". The music I can read load later from my files. Podcasts which are free I simply repurchased through iTunes Store.

I turned of "Genius"...no help

I did a thorough clean up of files. Went into my music file iTunes and cleaned out everything, album covers, old library files, podcasts...all of it... no help

Now, I do have an iMac upstairs with a Mac Pro downstairs and a mobile me account. The above iTunes issue is with my Mac Pro downstairs. So, now I'm thinking what if somehow it is syncing with something on the mobile me account and that is why it keeps appearing on my desktop? I do have two audio files I put up onto the mobile me cloud. I took them off/deleted them. I have one audio file on my iMac' desktop upstairs so I deleted it.

NOTHING WORKS. when I open my itunes then close it I get these files appearing on my desk top.........mmmmmmmmm

I'll restart my Mac one more time....MAYBE I got it resolved.........

Just as the Mac was shutting down BOOM the "iTunes Library 2209-0601" appeared on my desktop....Just won't go away....

Right there on the desktop on start up............

back to the drawing board............

ITUNES PREFERENCES-ADVANCED-ITUNES MUSIC FOLDER LOCATION.

for this posting i will define "music" setting as: macintosh HD:users:lexonex:music:itunes:itunesmusic

"desktop" setting will be defined as: macintoshHD:users:lexonex:desktop:itunes:music

I do admit earlier (days ago) I had changed the folder location to "desktop". I then switched it back to "music". SOMEHOW the preferences does not get it. It is showing the "music" setting. When I hit reset it automatically goes directly back to the 'desktop" setting. of course, I change it to the "music" setting and hit ok.

I just don't know what to do....Is it the iTunes preferences that is screwing up? I don't know.....

Any help would be appreciated......

Edited by Lexonex

Try trashing the preference file found in ~/Library/Preferences/. Upon looking in there, I have three files that pertain to iTunes - com.app.itunes.eq.plist; com.apple.itunes.plist; and com.apple.iTunesHelper.plist. I would first try just moving them out of the folder (to your desktop or somewhere accessible) restarting your computer and then opening iTunes and see if it re-creates the preference files. Then see if you can recreate the problem. If that doesn't work (I'm just throwing ideas out here) try repairing permissions through Disk Utility.....not sure why that might help, but I don't think it would hurt.

Hope any of these helps.

Apple Geek

Try trashing the preference file found in ~/Library/Preferences/. Upon looking in there, I have three files that pertain to iTunes - com.app.itunes.eq.plist; com.apple.itunes.plist; and com.apple.iTunesHelper.plist. I would first try just moving them out of the folder (to your desktop or somewhere accessible) restarting your computer and then opening iTunes and see if it re-creates the preference files. Then see if you can recreate the problem. If that doesn't work (I'm just throwing ideas out here) try repairing permissions through Disk Utility.....not sure why that might help, but I don't think it would hurt.

Hope any of these helps.

Apple Geek

I do appreciate the help. honestly, those suggestions are above my pay grade. I feel like I'm back with fricking windows...I'm just upset..not with you...

I thought maybe these vampire iTune files were somehow operating from the trash bin where I have been dragging them...SO, I thought I'll just empty the trash bin securely...took about 5 minutes because of all of the files..NO HELP...and when opening iTunes I get nothing but, black screens...applications GONE....Music GONE....podcasts GONE.....

I'm at the point of pulling out my purchase disk and re-installing leopard.......Gotta cool off first...

I'll tackle this later....must run to the bank now...

Thanks again. You would think though someone, one other person has had this happen to them and found a solution.. you would think.........

Hope any of these helps.

Apple Geek

exactly how to I get to ~/library/preference/? is that through finder? which folder? how do I get to that folder?

Speaking of disk utility. I did put in a second internal HD in bay 2 yesterday...went well..formated it etc....Did that have something to do with it?

Edited by Lexonex

So, moved them to the trash and then turned off the mac by holding in the start button. - WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME?

It's probably not related to the original problem, but turning off your Mac using the 'start' button IS NOT a good idea most of the time. You may have interrupted a 'write to disk' operation that has messed up your drive. So, that wasn't what have YOU done to me.

When you say you 'lost' all your music, etc., did you look for the actual files? They should be in macintosh HD/Users/lexonex/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music. (Navigate to here using the Finder) If they are there, drag the whole folder to the Desktop AND to an external HD so they're backed up.

I don't know why, but I do think I know what is/was happening. The versions of iTunes I have used store the information about your iTunes stuff (metadata) in those 2 files which keep appearing on your desktop. So, I think that when you shutdown, your machine is saving the current Library files. Since it doesn't find versions on the Desktop (like I said, don't know why it's looking there), it has to recreate them. As you've performed this task several times, it would be saving what it currently sees in iTunes, which, by now, appears to be nothing.

I think you should reinstall iTunes, after Repairing Permissions

Let see I went into disk utilities and repaired permissions...I reinstalled iTunes 8.2 ..same problem...throwing files to my desktop..

Is there any way to un-install iTunes first? Does the "reinstall" give my new files or remove the old files?.

Edited by Lexonex

I have removed iTunes from the dock. I have moved the iTunes application to the trash. I have removed my iTunes folder to the trash. I am currently emptying the trash securely that contains over 6,000 items.....

Any advice before downloading iTunes 8.2?

That means you just Trashed your actual music files. I hope you backed them up first.

It's the iTunes application itself (and related Library and Preference files) which are likely at fault. I think there are .plist files that are doing it but this is a new problem so I'm not sure.

Yes, I backed up my music files to another HD...

Now, get this. I installed iTunes 8.2 and opened iTunes and BOOM ...put files on my desktop.

I'm done...toast.....I don't know why or what I did to get this.......

I will suggest again trying to delete those preference files. (I assume you still haven't done that judging by the content of your posts). To do that go to your Finder, click on your home folder, go to Library, Preferences, and find the ones that I mentioned in my earlier post. Trash them or move them to the desktop at the very least - just get them out of that folder. Quit iTunes, restart your Mac and then launch iTunes. See if that helps. If that doesn't fix - I'm out of ideas.

Apple Geek

Apple Geek "you da man"....Thank you very much. I was in the middle of a work around. I have an administrator account and a standard account (has the issue) I go directly into the standard account to do everything and daily stuff. I heard that was safer than using an administrators account. Well, the iTunes in the administrators account worked fine. So, instead of pulling my hair out I just opened another standard user account and did the iTunes from scratched. Learned a lot today.

HOWEVER, your advice was correct and did correct the issue. You go to finder-home folder-library, preferences and REMOVE first to your desktop the following: com.app.itunes.eq.plist com.apple.itunes.plist and finally com.apple.ituneshelper.plist Restart your Mac. Then open iTunes and it asks you a series of questions that I did NOT get on previous attempts.

NO FILES THROWN TO MY DESKTOP....

I just did not know how to get there (preference) from your initial post...

THANKS AGAIN for your help........"you da man"

Plus I have now a second standard account to mess with............

Edited by Lexonex

I'm glad my suggestions helped. Yes, you are correct that it is generally safer to use a standard account rather than an admin account. By trashing the preference files - you did more of "resetting" iTunes than just reinstalling the application. (It's like you gave the application a new body but didn't fix the "brains" of the app, where the problem was occurring.) By resetting the preferences you should have gotten the series of questions that you answered a long time ago when you first opened iTunes - because it now doesn't remember what you chose.

I know I went into way more detail than I needed to, but oh well...

Glad I could help.

Apple Geek