SleeplessinMacWorld

Running a Raid Zero with Disk Utility. What am I doing wrong?

I have been fighting to make room for hard drive space for the past several months with my 2 internal drives for my PowerMac G5. I finally made the trek to my local electronic store and got my first FireWire TB. (YAY). I ran a RAID stripe using my 2 internal drives and plan to mirror the drive with Super Duper once I get all my updates installed. My question is, am I taking a big chance and setting myself up for complications further down the road? I have seen mixed comments on forums and wanted to get feedback from others. Thanks

Edited by SleeplessinMacWorld

No personal experience but I've heard lots of podcasts which say software raids aren't reliable.

If you really need the speed and have nothing important at all on the drives, it's fine. We have the boot volume striped across four very small, very fast drives on our graphics workstations, but all the actual work files live on the SAN.

On the other hand, if you have anything remotely important on there (ie anything other than your OS and apps) scary RAID is monumentally stupid.

On the other hand, if you have anything remotely important on there (ie anything other than your OS and apps) scary RAID is monumentally stupid.

I see what your saying, but as long as you are running (and testing) good backups of the scary RAID, it's a good option for creating a large, fast volume.

I have SW RAID0 of 2 x 750 GB in my MacPro that I use for all my important files. It's backed up via Time Machine and SuperDuper, so I feel pretty safe.

You just have do know what you're doing and be willing to accept the risks.

I have PowerMac G5 with 5 hard drives in it. A single 250GB hard drive is used for OSX, apps, and one admin account. The remaining (4) 500GB hard drives are striped together in a software RAID array by Disk Utility. All of the standard user accounts are on that volume. I mapped all of the accounts to that volume instead of the 250GB drive. This give me ~1.8TB of usable space for all of the files created by all the people in my family all while significantly improving data throughput on the computer. I have seen peak data transfers of 122MB on the array when copying files from one place to another. For a backups of this setup I have a FW Drobo with 3.5TB of hard drives in it. I use an application called Crashplan that does a local backup to the Drobo as well to Crashplan Central which is completely offsite elsewhere here in the U.S. If a drive fails in the RAID 0 array it will be only an inconvenience to replace the drive and nothing more. I expanded the array not even a week ago from 3 drives to 4 and a complete rebuild of the array was needed to expand the volume to 2TB. As long as you know how to configure the setup, you should be good to go. I've used Apple's software RAID for nearly 2 years and not once had a problem with it.