Huskermn

Can an iPhone be an iPod Touch?

I'm seriously considering moving up to the new 3G S, but, that leaves me with a perfectly good 1st Gen iPhone which I might want to keep around as a spare/backup but won't want to keep connected to A T & T's network.

Could I just pull the SIMM and use it like an iPod touch?

Yep, that's what I do with my first iPhone (when it's not safely locked away - it was the first one sold in the country after all!).

Yep, that's what I do with my first iPhone (when it's not safely locked away - it was the first one sold in the country after all!).

Yay!

Thanks, guys.

And, congrats Graham. That's a real collectors item.

So the SIMM has to definitely come out? Will upgrades (firmware, etc) still be possible (will that require the iTouch usual $9.95)? Will iTunes see it as an iTouch?

Thanks for answers!

Bob

1) No idea. I took mine out as it went in my 3G.

2)Yes, mine is currently on 2.2 (hasn't been out of the box since then).

3) No. iTunes sees it as an iPhone. It has all the features of an iPhone, it is just unable to use cellular services.

You don't have to take out the SIMM. My original iPhone (4 gig model) works fine as an iPod Touch after I upgraded to a 3G S. Without removing the SIMM.

You don't have to take out the SIMM. My original iPhone (4 gig model) works fine as an iPod Touch after I upgraded to a 3G S. Without removing the SIMM.

As far as I know, if you remove the SIMM, then it will ask you to set up the phone again by connecting it to iTunes. You should avoid removing the SIMM card if you want to use it as an iPod Touch.

As far as I know, if you remove the SIMM, then it will ask you to set up the phone again by connecting it to iTunes. You should avoid removing the SIMM card if you want to use it as an iPod Touch.

Don't you have to remove the Simm card to move your account data to the new iPhone?

Indeed you do, unless your phone carrier switches your account to a new sim. Here in the UK, they just tell you to plonk your old sim in the new phone. I guess it would be different for each country, but I expect they'd take the path of least resistance.

Also, I can confirm that my 3G running the 3.0 software syncs successfully with iTunes with no sim card in. Doesn't ask me to restore it or anything - shows up as usual.

When I upgraded to a 3GS, my iPhone 2G would still work in every way as an iPod touch without my removing the SIMM card. Then I made the mistake of resetting the device. Now it's a brick waiting to be activated. I'd love to know how to restore it to where it was before resetting it. I looked on the iPhone Dev team website(s) for some clues, but that gets into the realm of some serious hocus-pocus, and (frankly) the process of jailbreaking the device is not very well explained there. I thought it was supposed to be as simple as downloading an app. but seems not.

If removing the SIMM card would fix this, I'm all for trying that. I didn't think of that!

Edited by kimgh

Right click on the iphone in the sidebar and choose restore from backup? Or you can just temporarily pop your 3gs sim in the 2g iphone so it can activate during the setup process. The last step is probably the easiest.