Sign in to follow this  
kimgh

Podcasts listed as audiobooks...

I noticed that several podcasts end up in the "audiobooks" category on iTunes. The info says they are podcasts, but iTunes insists on lumping them with the audio books anyway.

I'd like to correct this, but don't see a way to do so. Is there some metadata that the "info" command doesn't show, and could that be set wrong? And how would I edit that stuff?

Any help appreciated. Thanks,

Kim

You can change the "Media Kind" of an iTunes track on the Options tag of the Get Info dialog, but it's not possible to change a track to "Podcast".

"Podcast" status is all black magic, internal to the iTunes app. Immediately after iTunes downloads a podcast track, it adds some ID3 tags to the .mp3 (or .m4a) file. (ID3 tags are the parts of the mp4 file that contain album name, song name, artist name, composer, and so on.) AFAIK, those tags are "TID" and "WFD". These are both non-standard tags. The TID identifies the URL of the specific podcast episode, anf the WFD identifies the URL of the feed. The only process I know to make an .mp3 into a "podcast" in iTunes is to remove the old track from iTunes, add the TID and WFD tags with an ID3 editor, and then put the file back into iTunes. That's probably more trouble than it's worth.

I wrote some longer posts on this a couple of years back:

http://forum.maccast.com/index.php?showtop...ost&p=57180

You can change the "Media Kind" of an iTunes track on the Options tag of the Get Info dialog, but it's not possible to change a track to "Podcast".

"Podcast" status is all black magic, internal to the iTunes app. Immediately after iTunes downloads a podcast track, it adds some ID3 tags to the .mp3 (or .m4a) file. (ID3 tags are the parts of the mp4 file that contain album name, song name, artist name, composer, and so on.) AFAIK, those tags are "TID" and "WFD". These are both non-standard tags. The TID identifies the URL of the specific podcast episode, anf the WFD identifies the URL of the feed. The only process I know to make an .mp3 into a "podcast" in iTunes is to remove the old track from iTunes, add the TID and WFD tags with an ID3 editor, and then put the file back into iTunes. That's probably more trouble than it's worth.

I wrote some longer posts on this a couple of years back:

http://forum.maccast.com/index.php?showtop...ost&p=57180

Thanks. It's more important to me that they NOT be flagged as audiobooks than than they be treated as podcasts.