Sign in to follow this  
mynewromantica

Hotmail in Mail

Is it possible to use a WindowsLive Hotmail or an MSN account in Mail? I am trying to convince my wife that using webmail is dumb but she doesn't want to switch to gmail or Yahoo to get it in OS X Mail.

Since early this year, it's been possible to access free HotMail accounts (aka Windows Live Mail) via POP3 (from OSX Mail or any other client.) (POP3 access for paid HotMail Plus has been available for over a year.)

Full instructions are in the Wikipedia article on Hotmail ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotmail ).

Short form, create a new Account in Mail

POP server: pop3.live.com (Mail will try Port 995 automatically)

User name: Your Windows Live ID, for example YOURNAME@hotmail.com

(Note you must include "@hotmail.com" as part of your account ID.)

Password: The password you usually use to sign in to Hotmail or Windows Live

SMTP server: smtp.live.com

Authentication required? Yes

And, actually, using webmail is far from "dumb" ... especially if you like to access your mail from any machine. Many of the web interfaces are now equal ( if not superior ) to clients like Mail or Thunderbird.

Since early this year, it's been possible to access free HotMail accounts (aka Windows Live Mail) via POP3 (from OSX Mail or any other client.) (POP3 access for paid HotMail Plus has been available for over a year.)

Full instructions are in the Wikipedia article on Hotmail ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotmail ).

Short form, create a new Account in Mail

POP server: pop3.live.com (Mail will try Port 995 automatically)

User name: Your Windows Live ID, for example YOURNAME@hotmail.com

(Note you must include "@hotmail.com" as part of your account ID.)

Password: The password you usually use to sign in to Hotmail or Windows Live

SMTP server: smtp.live.com

Authentication required? Yes

Thank you so much. All the places I looked pointed me to a Mail add-on that would only allow you to receive mail not send it.

And, actually, using webmail is far from "dumb" ... especially if you like to access your mail from any machine. Many of the web interfaces are now equal ( if not superior ) to clients like Mail or Thunderbird.

I tend to agree with you for the most part. I've been on a kick of using GMail through its web interface and I love it. I kind of wish the Mail app on the iPhone was more like the GMail web interface (labels vs. folders for example). But Hotmail = terrible, so you should get her to change to GMail. ;) haha

I disagree. In my experience, Webmail reflows text, does not handle attachments well and is slow. It also doesn't automatically notify you if you have mail (that I know of). Reflowing text my not seem like a big deal until you get an invoice and none of the numbers line up. I wasted like 15 minutes just the other night fixing this very issue. Besides, I don't know of any ISP where you can't check your mail online if you want to.

I disagree. In my experience, Webmail reflows text, does not handle attachments well and is slow. It also doesn't automatically notify you if you have mail (that I know of). Reflowing text my not seem like a big deal until you get an invoice and none of the numbers line up. I wasted like 15 minutes just the other night fixing this very issue. Besides, I don't know of any ISP where you can't check your mail online if you want to.

THose are most of the reasons I hate webmail.

FYI, there are third party apps, such as GMail Notifier that do notify you of incoming mail for those that prefer that type of interface. I can see your point and preference about reflowing text ... to each his/her own ... but I could hardly call your choice of usage "dumb" as expressed by the OP. That was the point I was trying to make ... different strokes for different folks .... and isn't that the philosophy that has made Apple so successful over the years? ;)