buckdog

Best way to preserve MacBook Pro Battery

Hi! It's been a while since I've posted, but I just got a brand new 13" MacBook Pro for college. I am loving the extra-long battery; I got the laptop yesterday and have been able to use it constantly since I got it with only one short charge. I was wondering, though, what the best pratices are to preserve the extra-long battery. I have read before that it is best to keep a laptop plugged in all of the time when you are at home, but I have also read that keeping it plugged in too long is bad for it.

When I was reading about Nintendo DS battery life, I read that the battery stops holding as much of a charge after about 500 charges, so I got to thinking whether a 15 minute charge counts as one of the 500; in other words that charging for 15 minutes wears the battery's useful life down just as much as a full charge.

What have you heard are the best practices to keep a laptop (or iPhone or DS) battery working as long as possible (like in number of years it can still hold a charge rather than number of hours before it needs to be charged).

Thanks!

First of all, if Apple is to be believed, the new 13" MBP batteries should retain at least 80% of the original capacity after 1000 full charge cycles. One thing to keep in mind is that a "full charge cycle" is cumulative ... by that I mean that if you discharge the battery by 1/3 and recharge it three times that counts as 1 charge cycle. There is a great freeware app out there called Coconut Battery which will give you the current capacity as compared to the original ... at least it works on my 17" MBP from 2007 .... it shows I have used 71 recharge cycles over 19 months and still have 98% of my original capacity.

As to how I "treat" my battery, I have simply done what Apple's Customer Support articles have said for years. In short, these batteries are meant to be used, so any day that I use it, I will generally run it off battery for an hour or two and then plug it in to the power adapter the rest of the day. Also, once a month I run the MBP overnight so that it drains the battery completely and then fully re-charge it. Supposedly this "exercises" all of the cells of the battery regularly. Maybe this is voodoo, but I'm happy with my performance.

Thank you very much, that was very helpful. The other thing I was wondering is if I am going away for a few days if it is better to leave it unplugged or plugged in. Does anybody know this?

Thanks!

For what it is worth I only plug in the power adapter when I am charging or using the MBP. If I see the light on the MagSafe connector is green and I am not going to be using it for awhile, I unplug it.

Exactly the reference I used to base my regimen on Harry ... great reference.