Sign in to follow this  
mynewromantica

iTunes Server

I am trying to set up an iTunes server to stream media to my iMac, Macbook, Windows machine, and apple TV. Does anyone know of an easy to use tutorial or know how to do it? I am so lost on this.

Not sure exactly what you mean.

If you open iTunes Preferences, in the General pane, give each Mac's library a memorable and unique name.

On the "server" iTunes, on the preference's Sharing tab, check the "Share my Library on my Local Network" box.

On other iTunes, on the Sharing panel, check the "Look for Shared Libraries" box.

If the Mac firewall ask if you want iTunes to listen on the network, Allow it.

(On Windows, you'll probably have to cope with the firewall manually.)

Other iTunes in your home should now show the server's library on the left sidebar. Open it and listen normally.

Not sure exactly what you mean.

If you open iTunes Preferences, in the General pane, give each Mac's library a memorable and unique name.

On the "server" iTunes, on the preference's Sharing tab, check the "Share my Library on my Local Network" box.

On other iTunes, on the Sharing panel, check the "Look for Shared Libraries" box.

If the Mac firewall ask if you want iTunes to listen on the network, Allow it.

(On Windows, you'll probably have to cope with the firewall manually.)

Other iTunes in your home should now show the server's library on the left sidebar. Open it and listen normally.

THanks, that was a ton easier than doing this whole Firelfy media server thing in Ubuntu and having to learn some terminal junk. Not my thing.

Sorry, I actually forgot about one more important thing. I have heard you can use Ubuntu to do a time Machine backup somehow. That was another reason for having the server. Do you happen to know anything about that?

THanks, that was a ton easier than doing this whole Firelfy media server thing in Ubuntu and having to learn some terminal junk. Not my thing.

Sorry, I actually forgot about one more important thing. I have heard you can use Ubuntu to do a time Machine backup somehow. That was another reason for having the server. Do you happen to know anything about that?

Why use Ubuntu for that when you can hook up a hard drive to one of your Macs and backup to it from the other ones via your network? No need to complicate things unless you have to. ;)

Forget all about Time Machine as I have and go with the better backup solution known as Crashplan. You can back up to local hard drives, other local computers, or mounted networked volumes (like a Time Capsule) you also have the option to back up to a friends computer that is encrypted and offsite. I have several family members backing up to a G5 tower that I have running 24x7 as an 'Apple TV', file, Drobo, backup, printer, DVR, user account, and proxy server. So yes, you can back up your Mac or PC to that Ubuntu machine in it's local or external hard drive that is mounted to it.