Sign in to follow this  
groomsy57

Freelance Developer

I'm essentially looking for any tips, tricks, or recommendations for becoming a freelance developer (web or other types of software). I'm a fairly young guy (23) who is graduating college with his Masters Degree in Computer Engineering & Computer Science this coming week. I'm getting ready to get married and we are moving to a new area where my future wife will be starting her graduate work (near Nashville in Tennessee). I've been looking for a job, but it hasn't been easy with trying to finish school (i.e. writing a Thesis) and it seems as though people want .Net developers, which I am trying to avoid becoming. Ideally I'd like to find a job working on a Mac (so either software development with the Mac or iPhone, or even a web developing job). This puts quite a few limitations on an ideal job. However, my roommate suggested that I try to test the self employed waters, which quite frankly, scares the heck out of me. I think it's so intimidating though, because I don't know what to do really. I have no idea how to do freelance jobs or anything like that. I have the means to try it for a while (as I've saved up a sum of money to live off of while looking for a job) so I could use that to pay off rent and utilities while I'm building up a resumé of work, but I guess I'm looking for ideas of how to get started in this field to see if it is right for me. I'm open to all tips, so please leave one if you have experience in the self employment field (for software development or other trade). Sorry if my question seems a bit vague, but I'm really kind of lost here. :(

Thanks guys.