pwnusmaximus

MAC OSX CRASHES AND RE-BOOTS 2-3 TIMES DAILY!!!

hello fellow macgeeks:

I have a macmini intel 1.83GHZ that just wont stop crashing on me! every day at least 3 times a day would freeze and give the grey "you must restart" error (blue screen of death basically)

I've re-formatted and re-installed everything on my computer from a brand new leopard DVD onto the mini twice now and it hasn't fixed the problem. I'm convinced its a hardware issue but its so intermittent and occurs at random it seems. sometimes its when i open an app, sometimes its when the screen saver is on. sometimes its when i let it sit for too long. sometimes even when nothing is running at all!!

(the mini is out of warrantee and i do have 3rd party RAM installed)

how do i go about figuring out what the root of the problem is and hopefully revert the problem?

It does sound like a hardware issue. (Memory comes to mind.) I'd run TechToolPro, but not every home Mac owner wants to spend $90 on diagnostic software they only use on one or two machines occasionally. However, there is a free hardware diagnostic shipped with every Mac:

Locate the software restore CDs or DVD that originally came with your iMac (the gray one, not the newer Leopard retail DVD).

imac_install_dvd.jpg

Insert disc and (re-)boot Mac with the "D" key pressed down, and it will launch a set of diagnostics specifically tailored for your iMac model:

apple_hw_diag.jpg

Click "Test" and it will spend 5 minutes or so trying out your memory and such. If it doesn't find a problem, consider running with the "Extended test" box checked (that'll take forever, so maybe overnight or when you won't need you Mac.)

Edited by car1son

well i do have all the crash reports that the OS generated at each crash. ive gone through them and there is no consistant fail point. one crashed while doing something with installd and some crashed while mds was running and others while regular applications where running.

(it does however always have a "back-track" procedure running and then it fails and that causes the kernel panics.) not sure what that is...

also i have lost the install DVDs unfortunatly... (ive tried using the set from my macbook pro and it will not run hardware test) is it possible to re-download them from apple or make a replacement pair like you can in windows?

Edited by pwnusmaximus

also i have lost the install DVDs unfortunatly... (ive tried using the set from my macbook pro and it will not run hardware test) is it possible to re-download them from apple or make a replacement pair like you can in windows?

nope :(

You might try memtest. It used to be free, but now costs $1.39 to download. There's no certainty you have a memory problem, but recurring kernel panics out of the blue makes me suspicious there first. Memtest is best run in single-user mode.

You might also try running the Mac with minimal USB/FW peripherals attached. I'd try to live without any USB hub, e.g.

And, it could be a hard drive problem. Have you run disk utility to Verify and/or Repair Disk?

You might try memtest. It used to be free, but now costs $1.39 to download. There's no certainty you have a memory problem, but recurring kernel panics out of the blue makes me suspicious there first. Memtest is best run in single-user mode.

You might also try running the Mac with minimal USB/FW peripherals attached. I'd try to live without any USB hub, e.g.

You can get a free memtest with applejack. I'd bet my hard earned money on bad RAM.

I just ran techtool pro 4 on the macmini on full scan and it came up with zero errors... I'm really confused now :s

One of the things I like abot TechTool Pro version 5 is the option to run an extended memory test & leave it pounding all night.

You might try a look in your /var/log/system.log file (one that covers a panic.) The last batch of messages before the reboot might suggest something. (There will be older system.log.N.bz2 files if the current log doesn't cover the time of a panic. You can expand the .bz2 back to readable with the bunzip terminal command if necessary.)

To find where my Mac rebooted, I usually search system.log for 'Darwin Kernel Version', but the reboot actually stars a dozen lines before. (In the example below, I deliberately restarted, because I haven't had a real kernel panic (gray screen of "you must reboot") in ages. Usually the timestamp will show exavtly where the reboot began. In the example below, it restarts at 08:23:45, meaning everything before that is part of the previous system's last words.

Jul 24 08:23:13 HMSClone loginwindow[36]: DEAD_PROCESS: 0 console
Jul 24 08:23:14 HMSClone shutdown[288]: reboot by boss:
Jul 24 08:23:14 HMSClone shutdown[288]: SHUTDOWN_TIME: 1248448994 669754
Jul 24 08:23:14 HMSClone mDNSResponder mDNSResponder-176.3 (Jan 27 2009 14:51:58)[15]: stopping
Jul 24 08:23:14 HMSClone com.apple.loginwindow[36]: Shutdown NOW!
Jul 24 08:23:14 HMSClone com.apple.loginwindow[36]: System shutdown time has arrived^G^G
Jul 24 08:23:14 HMSClone com.apple.SystemStarter[50]: Stopping Privoxy
Jul 24 08:23:14 HMSClone com.apple.SystemStarter[50]: Jul 24 08:23:14 Privoxy(00000238) Info: exiting by signal 15 .. bye
Jul 24 08:23:15 HMSClone mDNSResponder[15]: mDNS_StopNATOperation: NATTraversalInfo 00824204 not found in list
Jul 24 08:23:45 localhost kernel[0]: npvhash=4095
Jul 24 08:23:45 localhost com.apple.launchctl.System[2]: launchctl: Please convert the following to launchd: /etc/mach_init.d/chum.plist
Jul 24 08:23:45 localhost com.apple.launchctl.System[2]: launchctl: Please convert the following to launchd: /etc/mach_init.d/dashboardadvisoryd.plist
Jul 24 08:23:45 localhost com.apple.launchctl.System[2]: launchctl: Please convert the following to launchd: /etc/mach_init.d/pilotfish.plist
Jul 24 08:23:45 localhost com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.distccdConfigd): Unknown key: SHAuthorizationRight
Jul 24 08:23:45 localhost com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.usbmuxd): Unknown key for boolean: EnableTransactions
Jul 24 08:23:45 localhost com.apple.launchd[1] (org.apache.httpd): Unknown key: SHAuthorizationRight
Jul 24 08:23:45 localhost com.apple.launchd[1] (org.cups.cupsd): Unknown key: SHAuthorizationRight
Jul 24 08:23:45 localhost com.apple.launchd[1] (org.ntp.ntpd): Unknown key: SHAuthorizationRight
Jul 24 08:23:45 localhost com.apple.launchd[1] (org.x.privileged_startx): Unknown key for boolean: EnableTransactions
Jul 24 08:23:45 localhost DirectoryService[11]: Launched version 5.7 (v514.25)
Jul 24 08:23:45 localhost kernel[0]: hi mem tramps at 0xffe00000
Jul 24 08:23:45 localhost kernel[0]: PAE enabled
Jul 24 08:23:45 localhost kernel[0]: 64 bit mode enabled
Jul 24 08:23:45 localhost kernel[0]: Darwin Kernel Version 9.7.0: Tue Mar 31 22:52:17 PDT 2009; root:xnu-1228.12.14~1/RELEASE_I386
Jul 24 08:23:45 localhost kernel[0]: standard timeslicing quantum is 10000 us
Jul 24 08:23:45 localhost kernel[0]: vm_page_bootstrap: 972662 free pages and 75914 wired pages
Jul 24 08:23:45 localhost kernel[0]: mig_table_max_displ = 79

It's a long shot, but the last few dozen messages here before the panic might give a hint what went wrong.

well i have also downloaded a copy of "AppleJack" and "Memorytest OSX" and ran them both at full last night and both completed with no errors. also the RAM passed all tests.

so i booted MacOSX back up and want to get a sandwitch and when i came back. it had a kernel panic and i needed to restart!!! WTF

what am i not doing right here?

I still say it's bad RAM. Try physically removing the 3rd party RAM and see if it still happens.

i changed the keyboard and mouse to my blue tooth apple keyboard and mouse and for almost a week i haven't experienced any crashes. i think the problem appears to be solved and the issue was keyboard and mouse drivers for my logitech KB/M pair.

strange but atlease i can use it like a computer now!