pwnusmaximus

Small buisness router + switch problems

hey fellow macgeeks:

here is my goal: get all computers in a small office talking to one another and access the internet.

equipment:

-Linksys 802.11n wireless Router

-D-Link 24port switch

-SonicWall hardware firewall

-Speed Touch ISP modem

at the moment the order is; MODEM, ROUTER, SWITCH, all COMPUTERS in office

now with this configuration i can get all the computers to talk to one another but cannot access the internet at all! but if a take a ethernet cable from the ROUTER directly to a computer i get a internet connection and can post to twitter etc.

why the hell wont thh switch relay internet signal? what am i doing wrong? should i reset every device in the chain?

any help appreciated. (also i can provide a diagram if it helps)

Your switch isn't acting as a DHCP server as well as the router is it? It's not normally enabled by default, but it might be... Also, on some switched you need to specify an uplink port.

i dont think its enabled to be a DHCP server. (if so how would i access its firmware?) i know a router is @ 192.168.1.1 but a switch is just a pass-through...

how could i find its address?

Bash in

arp -a

in the terminal to get a dump of the routing table (which should contain everything on the network). Eliminate the macs and router and you should have the IP address for the switch.

Have you tried a different cable going from the router to the switch? Or a different port on the switch? (if theres a specific uplink port on the switch then use that port, and usually you cant use the port that's right next to the uplink port for a computer, if it has one.)

You could also try using a crossover cable to go from the router to the switch.