mrstucci

G4 running Tiger and new Time Capsule

We have 3 Macs in our home: a MBP, a MB and a G4 tower. The latter is running Tiger, the others Leopard. We got a new Time Capsule and have it set up to store files. Things were working smoothly until sometime yesterday and my son's G4 no longer recognizes the TC. The other computers can see it just fine. Another weird thing with the G4 and TC is that when he restarted his computer to see if that would make the TC appear, up in the menu bar, it showed the TC as the network for just a second and then disappears and the only other choice is the Guest Network! My son is very frustrated as he wants to use the TC for storing his massive iTunes library. And he has had bad luck doing that. For one thing is the size of his library and then there was the Western Digital 1TB hard drive that died suddenly with all his music on it...... So his frustration is mounting. So for starters, what do I need to do the get his G4 to see the TC all the time? And what do I need to do so that TC is his network (I have gone into the Network settings on his computer and it is selected)? Tensions are mounting here at our humble abode and we need some help! Please. I am the in-house techy and I have run into a stumbling block. Thanks! Judy

Do you have the latest updates installed on the G4? Apple released some AirPort updates a little while back.

Will check on that and will also repair permissions (son is not too good about maintenance..........). Judy

Software is up to date, repaired permissions. Didn't fix anything. I tried to add the TC as the network and it just won't accept it. If I add TC it shows a really long password-it begins with a $. The password for my guest network is the one I setup in Airport Utility and it should be the same one for TC. But it's not. If I add TC to the list of networks it says that the password I set up is wrong....... UGH! In Airport Utility, I highlight Time Capsule, the password is correct; under Wireless it says at the top, Create a wireless network......Under Guest Network it has the name of the network and Enable guest network is checked. Do I want to check, Allow guest network clients to communicate with each other? TC and Guest Network Security are both WPA/WPA2 Personal, same password. Under Access, MAC Address Access Control is set as Not Enabled. If you want me to change anything or you need more info on setup, let me know. Judy

You're creating a network? You should be joining the network. Firstly what kind of encryption are you using on the network? It's possible that the G4's wireless card is too old if you're using WPA2.

You shouldn't be using the guest network feature for this. The G4 should be connecting to the main network you set up in airport utility. A few basic troubleshooting steps: Can the G4 access the internet? If so, it's on the network. Are you connected to the network in system prefs -> network? If so, do you have an IP address? what is it?

Yes, you are right, I want this computer to join the network, I am not creating a new network, I don't want this computer to use the Guest Network.

Encryption is WPA/WPA2. It seems there is a choice of that or WPA2 Personal or None.

Yes, the G4 can access the internet. Yes, my MBP is connected via TC as is my husband's MB.

I opened up Network in System Prefs and for the IP address it says: Airport is connected to TimeCapsule and has the IP address 10.x.x.x (I didn't put the numbers in for security reasons but there are numbers there).

Judy

Ok, so it's on the right network. Try this:

go to airport utility and get the IP address of the time capsule, then go to the finder, choosing connect to server from the go menu. type in afp://[the ip address of the time capsule] and see if that works.

Btw, giving out local IP addresses doesn't compromise your security as they are just that - local to your network.

Nope, no go. Typed it on the G4 and got the message that the connection failed...... server may not exist or it is not operational. Check the name and IP address and try again.

In Airport Utility the IP address for the TC is 98.218.xxx.xx but in the System Prefs the TC has the 10.0.1.2.....I tried the first one-will try the second one. Judy

Second one didn't work either. Same message. Judy

The 98.218.xxx.xx address is your external address with your ISP.

Go to System Preferences -> Network on your Mac, and look for the Router IP address. That's the address you'll want to be connecting to.

20090803-pymirdyukc1rwn4d8uxjy3u5d9.preview.jpg

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

Nope, that didn't work. Same message. Judy

I noticed that you have Configure IPv6 as Automatic-mine is off.........

IPv6 shouldn't make any difference in this situation. In fact, I usually turn it off. Just haven't gotten around to it on this Mac.

Any other suggestions? Judy

The TC network is still not working for the G4-pwbeninate, do you have any more ideas I could try???? Please. Judy

No. I guess that's something I could try........ Will do it later tonight. I'll let you know if you if it fixes the problem or not. Thanks for all your help! I really appreciate it. Judy