Jack LaCorte

Western Digital RAID drives

I"m not sure if all dual-drive WD drives are like this across the board, but just as an FYI for the community, if you have one of those drives that use two 500GB drives to give you either a 1TB drive or a mirrored 500GB drive, go with the mirrored. I ran into an issue where the drive becomes unusable if a file is written across both drives. (I couldn't even reformat it and neither could my manager as I work in IT). Of course there is no way to keep the drive from writing the file across both physical drives since the drive recognizes it as one volume. I had to have it replaced by WD and am now using it as a 500GB RAID. I also just had a single-drive WD MyBook die on me as well with extremely slow write speed and am waiting for that replacement drive. Starting to question to Western Digital brand.

I actually owned one of those drive a couple years back and also had troubles with it. It would randomly disconnect from my Mac and I had to cycle the power to get it mounted again. Also it was exceptionally loud, and drove me nuts! I use Seagate external drives now, and haven't looked back.

I've had nothing but trouble with WD externals (strangely their bare sata drives have been solid). We use G-Techs and Seagates now.

I have one of the WD dual 500GB external hard drives that are silver in color with FW 800, 400, and USB. I haven't had any problems with it corrupting files in the RAID 0 configuration. I have used the two 500's that came in it as well as two 250's at one point in time. Now, the problem that I did have with the drive was when I was using it as a bootable hard drive when I do video editing for my church. The 200GB hdd in my MacBook Pro was not large enough so I put a fresh copy of Leopard on the external with the church's user account on the WD hdd. So to sum it up the internal was personal documents and files and the external was the 1TB large capacity drive for the video projects that I do for my church. Note that I have full Crashplan backups (awesome backup application that is better than Time Machine any day of the week) of both personal and church hard drives so data loss was not a worry (for those cringing with the scary raid setup) After using the external hard drive to boot into for video work I found that the laptop would not mount ANY blank optical media but it would mount those same brand disks that *already* had media burned to them. This made no sense at all. The problem escalated all the way to having my MacBook Pro shipped off to Apple Care to replace a "faulty" Superdrive. The computer came back to me with a new drive and a fresh copy of Leopard on it. After booting into the external hard drive AND the internal hard drive (fresh copy of OSX) again I noticed it did the same exact thing! The problem came about when I first booted into the external WD drive to get my video work done. The drive created a Western Digital .plist file in /Library/Launch Daemons. This plist file was not allowing the computer to mount any blank CD's or DVD's. Once that plist file was deleted on the internal and external hard drives and then rebooted, all worked as it should. The computer could then mount blank optical media. So... this is the only problem that I have experienced with the Western Digital RAID 0/1 drives. I no longer use the WD for bootable uses. I decided to go with a single 500GB drive in a Other World Computing Mercury Elite Pro eSATA, FW 800, FW400, & USB enclosure. No problems with that as you might have guessed.