harry747

iPhone clock

hi.

every time i try to set the clock on my iphone, it ends up being off by up to a minute. what am i doing wrong? is there some special trick to set it accurately? HELP!

it would be ideal if the iphone could sync itself to a time server, like macs do, or if itunes set the clock, like it sets ipod clocks...

Your iPhone's clock should be automatically set by the carrier whenever it is on the network. Is that not happening?

I thought it got the time from your mac? I could just be making stuff up though...

Your iPhone's clock should be automatically set by the carrier whenever it is on the network. Is that not happening?

not as far as I can tell. But I guess not all carriers offer the same services. Just look at MMS.

PS. I'm on O2 in the UK.

nope, not in the last 2 hours or so. I set the clock back by 5 minutes, and it's still 5 minutes off.

I thought it got the time from your mac?

that's how it works with iPods, but AFAICT not the iPhone :-(

looks like I have to go to the apple store at the weekend. Good thing i have 4 apple stores to choose from...

not as far as I can tell. But I guess not all carriers offer the same services. Just look at MMS.

PS. I'm on O2 in the UK.

Interesting. I'm on AT&T in America and the clock and time zone are set automatically. I believe that is true for all carriers here. Quite strange that O2 doesn't do that.

Interesting. I'm on AT&T in America and the clock and time zone are set automatically. I believe that is true for all carriers here. Quite strange that O2 doesn't do that.

ISTR that some time ago I tried to use this feature on another phone on another network, but it didn't work then either. so i guess they don't do that over here. maybe us UK iphone users should put some pressure on O2...?

which leaves my original question: is there a way to set the clock accurately? maybe we should put some pressure on apple as well...

I'm confused. I didn't even know you could set the clock on your iPhone. You're talking about the system clock right? Not the alarm clock? As far as I was aware, the system clock is automatically set via magic voodoo in the sky (or some more technical scientific reason). I don't know - it just sets itself. How can you tell it's "one minute off" anyway? Every clock in my house is off give or take 5 minutes or so - I wouldn't have a clue which one was "accurate", let alone one minute off. In fact, if anything, I'd trust the iPhone's time more than other clocks, since it does seem to be pulling it's data from somewhere (unlike the clocks in my house that I manually set.)

I'm not sure how you, first of all, set your iPhone clock, and second of all, know that it's "off". What are you basing that measurement on?

How can you tell it's "one minute off" anyway?

there are lots of ways to get accurate time, like TV and radio news, radio-controlled clocks, the speaking clock (in the UK, dial 123), railway station clocks, ...

Edited by harry747

there are lots of ways to get accurate time, like TV and radio news, radio-controlled clocks, the speaking clock (in the UK, dial 123), railway station clocks, ...

So what you mean is... your iPhone isn't matching the time on news or at the train station? Why do you assume that they are "accurate" and you're not? That doesn't make any sense. You can't even set the iPhone clock, as far as I'm aware, so that would lead me to assume that the iPhone clock is more accurate than other clocks (such as one at the train station) that someone probably manually set.

I'm not trying to be argumentative; I just don't understand your concern. Cell phone clocks are automatically set. If it's off from another clock, it's logical to assume that it's the other clock that wasn't automatically set, not that yours was set wrong. You have no power over how your cell phone clock was set, so how does it benefit you to worry about it being different from another clock? It'd be better to just reset the other clock that do have control over.

Edited by desertrose0601

So what you mean is... your iPhone isn't matching the time on news or at the train station? Why do you assume that they are "accurate" and you're not? That doesn't make any sense. You can't even set the iPhone clock, as far as I'm aware, so that would lead me to assume that the iPhone clock is more accurate than other clocks (such as one at the train station) that someone probably manually set.

I'm not trying to be argumentative; I just don't understand your concern. Cell phone clocks are automatically set. If it's off from another clock, it's logical to assume that it's the other clock that wasn't automatically set, not that yours was set wrong. You have no power over how your cell phone clock was set, so how does it benefit you to worry about it being different from another clock? It'd be better to just reset the other clock that do have control over.

phone clocks may be set by the carrier in the USA, but here in the UK that doesn't happen. I set my iphone clock back by 5 minutes, and a couple of days later it was still 5 minutes behind. as for setting the iphone clock manually, of course that's possible. go to settings -> general -> date & time -> set date & time.

phone clocks may be set by the carrier in the USA, but here in the UK that doesn't happen. I set my iphone clock back by 5 minutes, and a couple of days later it was still 5 minutes behind. as for setting the iphone clock manually, of course that's possible. go to settings -> general -> date & time -> set date & time.

Hmm... interesting. I didn't realize you could change it manually. Are you sure you can't switch it to "Automatic"? It seems strange that they would just not allow that in one country.

Here's what the settings screen looks like on my phone.

20090928-8tc59ud4ieawmqugni73segg91.jpg

I also have the 24-hour setting, and below that, instead of set automatically, i have a time zone setting and set date and time. i think it's time for some iphone feedback...

I also have the 24-hour setting, and below that, instead of set automatically, i have a time zone setting and set date and time.

Me too