Bandito

iPhone 2G vs. 3G - AT&T Charges

This is more of a theoretical question but when the iPhone (2G) first came out, the pricing was

a) the price of the phone + B) an additional $20 USD tacked on to your AT&T contract

(providing of course that you were already an AT&T customer).

When the 3G came out, I'm fairly certain that the cost was the same, but the $20 USD was increased to $30 USD+ additional charges for SMS (?)

I'm about to take my 1st gen iPhone into Apple due to a sudden inability to detect ANY WiFi connections including the one in my office where I'm sitting right now (although there ARE access points around and my laptops pick them just fine). I've already gone through the reboot/reset/restore process on the iPhone (including rolling the software back to 3.0 from it's current 3.0.1 with no luck). I'm thinking that since it's still under Apple Care I may end up with a replacement iPhone and if that's the case, I don't believe Apple is replacing any of them with 2G phones.

So my question becomes... Can I use a 3G phone w/o upgrading my AT&T contract if I turn off 3G on the iPhone? Can I just swap my SIM from my 2G iPhone into the 3G iPhone so AT&T isn't alerted?

I know this is more likely an AT&T question, but figured you all may have some insight.

Thanks,

(and yes, this is looking like the 2nd week in a row for a Genius Bar visit for me)

The Edge data plan is $20/month and includes 200 txt msgs.

The 3G data plan is $30/month and includes no txt msgs.

As far as I know, Apple still has original iPhones available for swapping out. (aside: rumors of a 8GB 3GS replacing the 3G are floating around.... for what it's worth)

As far as I know, you MUST switch to the 3G plan in order to activate the 3G or 3GS.

The Edge data plan is $20/month and includes 200 txt msgs.

The 3G data plan is $30/month and includes no txt msgs.

As far as I know, Apple still has original iPhones available for swapping out. (aside: rumors of a 8GB 3GS replacing the 3G are floating around.... for what it's worth)

As far as I know, you MUST switch to the 3G plan in order to activate the 3G or 3GS.

That's pretty much what I expected... and was afraid of. Normally it wouldn't be a big deal, but with my having been out of work since October, I have zero room for added expense so if there's a replacement it will HAVE to be for another 2G.

Thanks.

Yeah, i keep my 2G for similar reasons. 1) I'm not too keen on paying an additional $10/month for 3G (plus sms fees). 2) If I break my 2G, i'm still eligible of a discount upgrade! ($99 for 3G iPhone).