Sign in to follow this  
MitchA

Backup software...Sort of.

I currently have an iMac G5, and will be purchasing an iBook next week, and I need a wya to automatically sync files between the two, over the network for example. I will need my Safari cookies and such, my Documents, and that is about it, so what's the best way for me to do this, over the network, in an automatic fashion.

Documents are one thing, but cookies? I would suggest that you just replicate the data on the second computer. What web sites are you visiting that your cookies are updated daily or even weekly?

- MT

I have the same setup you will have... iMac G5 and a iBook. If you have a .Mac accound, you can set it up to sync most of your settings (such as iCal, Bookmarks, mail, etc.).

The only thing you asked about that wouldn't be covered by .Mac syncing is the documents. You have 4 options there:

1: Keep all your docs on your iMac G5, and just connect to it as a server in the finder on your iBook... edit or use the files across the network. Sometimes your iMac goes to sleep and I find it hard to wake it up (even with that setting on in Prefs) to be a server.

2: Set up an FTP site on the internet and keep you files there for editing. Expensive for lots of files and bandwidth.

3: Buy a NAS drive (network attached storage) hard drive. Like the Buffalo LinkStation drive, and have your iMac and iBook set to access it... as it's a HD that plugs directly into your network.

4: Buy a big USB thumb drive and truck it around between your computers.

Those are the solutions I have found, but in the end it's still a pain to manage... it's definately not "Apple Easy" to do.

4: Buy a big USB thumb drive and truck it around between your computers.

I find the iPod to be a great way to do this, because it basically is "a big USB drive". I move numerous 700mb avi movies to a friends PC this way. I also store a backup of my Cocoa program on the iPod, just in case I lose the copy on my computer, the numerous backups on my computer and the backup on my external firewire drive. Yeah...

I currently have an iMac G5, and will be purchasing an iBook next week, and I need a wya to automatically sync files between the two, over the network for example. I will need my Safari cookies and such, my Documents, and that is about it, so what's the best way for me to do this, over the network, in an automatic fashion.

Recently I've been using ChronoSync for backups, however it can sync between machines as well. The nice thing is that you can easily select the file sets that you want to sync.

Recently I've been using ChronoSync for backups, however it can sync between machines as well. The nice thing is that you can easily select the file sets that you want to sync.

That's what I found in a previous topic. I think I am going to go with that, since i need it to actually sync, since the ibook will not be on the network at times.