Randymon

Back up to external drive - best method?

Hello!

Without Time Machine or other backup software, what is the best way to do a full system backup to an external drive? I was told if I simply drag & drop the HD icon it won't be a bootable copy---- but will this still backup everything? Is there a preferred method?

Thanks, randy

Though I've never personally used it- I always hear good things about Carbon Copy Cloner. It's free (donation-ware) and it is a complete bootable copy of your hard drive. Check it out here: LINK

Hope this helps

Apple Geek

Get Super Duper. It's worth the money completely. Even the free version will do what you ask.

Though I've never personally used it- I always hear good things about Carbon Copy Cloner. It's free (donation-ware) and it is a complete bootable copy of your hard drive. Check it out here: LINK

Hope this helps

Apple Geek

Thanks for the software tip, but for reasons I won't go into, I need to back up directly to the drive WITHOUT using Time Machine or other backup programs. I guess I'll just copy the "user home" folder to the drive and assume any restore will be to a fresh and functioning OS. I've been told there is no point in backing up the rest of the system contents this way (without a cloning program) as the apps, OS, etc. can't be restored. If you have a different view, please share it.

Thanks again...

Since you don't explain the special circumstance that stop you from using any "backup program", it's hard to suggest a better solution.

But if you're interested, you can make a full backup with OSX's built-in Disk Utility. Go to the Restore tab. Drag the original HD icon you want to back up to "source", and the HD you want to make the backup as Destination. If the partition and format of the Destination are appropriate ("GUID" for the partition map, HFS+ for the volume) and the drive is firewire, the result should be bootable as well.

This Disk Utility feature can be found on any Apple Panther, Tiger or Leopard installation or software restore DVD, if that's the issue.

It's also possible to clone a drive in various ways from the Terminal, using either the "asr" or even the "dd" command, depending on the nature of the target drive.

Edited by car1son

For a drive to be bootable, the firewire only requirement is only for PPC macs. Intel macs can boot from USB as well.

Not sure if this will fit your requirements, but you might look into using Automator to do the file copy for you.

No. You will need to do a clean install of OS X, you then have the option to restore from a time machine backup (although I believe you can restore directly without installing OS X first in Snow Leopard, but don't hold me to that, I've never done it as I don't use time machine for a "real" backup).