dseven313

Time Capsule REMOTE

I read many articles on the internet that you can and you can't access the time capsule over the internet as a network drive?

Can anyone confirm this? can it be done?

James

Yes it can, but from a security standpoint, I wouldn't recommend it.

You will need a static IP from your ISP (most people won't have one by default, you usually have to pay extra for them). You then need to assign a static IP to your time capsule and then forward the ports for AFP to the time capsule in your firewall. I can give more detailed instructions if required, but make sure you have a static IP first or it just won't work (properly anyway).

Yes it can, but from a security standpoint, I wouldn't recommend it.

You will need a static IP from your ISP (most people won't have one by default, you usually have to pay extra for them). You then need to assign a static IP to your time capsule and then forward the ports for AFP to the time capsule in your firewall. I can give more detailed instructions if required, but make sure you have a static IP first or it just won't work (properly anyway).

That is the 3rd piece of very helpful information you have given me one here !

You are a legend.....thanks very much.

I'm off to buy/rent a static IP from my ISP, then i might be back to you .

THANKS AGAIN....

As an alternative to a static IP, you can use a Dynamic DNS service like dyndns.org which will give you a web address that is updated to match your dynamic IP, and its free. You would need to keep a computer on to update the address though with their client, although some routers have a built-in client for dynamic DNC services.

Edited by ithonicfury

If you are a MobileMe subscriber, you get this functionality as part of Back To My Mac.

I use the solution Graham explained, but I don't have a static IP, nor do I use DynDNS. My Time Capsule has had the same IP address for the last 18 months. As long as you leave your router and cable/dsl gateway powered on all the time, your IP address really shouldn't ever change (but it could...).