Sign in to follow this  
rrm74001

ipod error

when i attempt to update my ipod, i get a -36 error. : / any suggestions? i have run disk utility and there were MANY errors and i fixed them all but it still did not work. i have also restet and that did not work either.

-later-

I also have a similar problem. I run iTunes on Windows, and the iPod update always works when I first plug in my iPod Mini. However, even if I leave it in the dock after that, I can't update it anymore and I get a -36 error. Any ideas?

I don't know what causes the error, but many problems are caused by corrupted data. I would suggest using Disk Utility (sorry, don't know how to do it on Windows systems) to reformat the iPod and then Restore from the latest updater. Note this will erase all the data on your iPod so make sure everything is backed up (which, you really need to do anyway!)

I don't know what causes the error, but many problems are caused by corrupted data.  I would suggest using Disk Utility (sorry, don't know how to do it on Windows systems) to reformat the iPod and then Restore from the latest updater.  Note this will erase all the data on your iPod so make sure everything is backed up (which, you really need to do anyway!)

If you just use the iPod Software that comes with the iPod or can be downloaded off of the Apple website, there is no neet to use Disk Utility to reformat the iPod. The iPod software will automatically erase the iPod, and you shouldn't have to worry about it. If, however, you are still having problems, then using Disk Utility (or the windows equivalent) isn't a bad idea.

If you just use the iPod Software that comes with the iPod or can be downloaded off of the Apple website, there is no neet to use Disk Utility to reformat the iPod. The iPod software will automatically erase the iPod, and you shouldn't have to worry about it.

My experience is that the Restore alone often doesn't solve the problem, so, I suggest people skip that step and go direct to using Disk Utility (or, Windows equivalent) to reformat the iPod. I actually even zero filled the iPod when I did it to eliminate corrupted data which doesn't get erased with a regular erase/format. It takes a lot longer but proved worthwhile for me.