i was using skype and i got a message informing me that a newer version was available.

i d/.loaded the newer version .

a dialogue box opened and told me to drag the skype icon into my application forlder.

as i did this, was told an older version was there and did i want to replace it with the newer version.

i said yes. and i got another box, informing me.....the operation cannot be completed because you do not have suffient privelidges for some of the items...

can anyone help me out please. i am the only person who uses this imac and not sure what to do.

Delete the "old" one from your apps folder first, then drag the new version there.

You'll need to be an Administrator in order to do this. You can check in System Preferences -> Accounts:

Picture_1-20090825-084416.jpg

Also, a trick i've seen work is to drag the Application to your Desktop first, then drag it to the Applications folder. This should present you with a dialog box, where you can authenticate as an administrator.

I get that dialog every time too, you can either try the suggestion that the others have stated here, or just do it again. The second time I drag it to the Apps folder and tell it to replace, it always works for me.

Apple Geek

thank you very much , Graham,.

worked a treat.

owe you a beer

chris