Sign in to follow this  
neil_jo

Snow Leopard ?

A Snow Leopard Install Question. When I went to Leopard from Tiger on my Intel Mac, I first tried the Upgrade install. Found things a bit sluggish so did an erase and install and it ran much faster, though I had a few more software/driver issues with the erase and install, but that eventually sorted itself out. Now with Snow Leopard on the Mac homepage it says this "Snow Leopard is an upgrade for Leopard users and requires a Mac with an Intel processor".

Does this mean its only and upgrade and you cannot do an erase and install?

Regards

Neil

We will all know Friday .... There have been many articles and references to the fact that the $29 price is for an "upgrade version" and that if you want to move to Snow Leopard from Tiger you will have to buy the package that includes iLife 09 and iWork 09, but nobody has been specific yet as to whether or not there will be a "Full install" option with the $29 upgrade version.

Edited by Dolphbucs

You almost think there has to be that option. One thing touted at the Keynote was that they trimmed a lot of stuff out of Snow Leopard from Leopard that was taking up space. If you have to have Leopard installed anyway you aren't really saving any gigs of hard drive.

Thanks for the replies, I think it sounds like a clean install is possible after the upgrade install through Disk Utility. I will get Snow Leopard, but will wait a while before installing it.

Regards

Neil

This just in ... Macworld posted an article today which claims that you will indeed be able to do a clean install. They claim that the SL disks will be full install versions and that Apple still trusts us enough that they will not even be checking to see if we have 10.5 installed ( Apple has said the upgrade price is only for those who already have Leopard installed )