kimgh

Problems with playlist

This has been bugging me a while, and I've seen no mention elsewhere of this problem. I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed this?

The problem: I start every morning with a "podcast" playlist of whatever of my favorite podcasts are available for the day. Many times, there is a partially listened-to podcast that I place lower in the list than some new ones.

When I finish the podcasts ahead of the partially finished one, the iPhone plays about a half second from where I left off, then suddenly skips back to the beginnning. If I'm driving, of course I cannot scrub back to the point I was at (assuming I know where that was), so this is very frustrating.

But it's worse yet, because frequently, I start a brand new podcast that is second or third place in the list (after finishing the ones ahead of it) and it skips to somewhere in the middle of the podcast.

I brought my iPod today so I could be sure of getting through a playlist without such defugleties, but this is less than ideal. I just want the iPod portion of the phone to work as billed.

I occurs to me that this problem started when I last update the 3.x software. So either that is the problem or (if I'm the only one experiencing this) it's a corrupted update.

I will try to reset and restore the phone this weekend and see whether that fixes this, but I'm looking for any other advice anyone might have.

Thanks,

Kim

Do you ever listen to the podcasts, etc on your computer? Or, plug in the iPhone without syncing?

I have found that iTunes will use the 'listened to' spot from the computer when syncing AND that if I plug in the iPhone just to charge without syncing, it loses track of the 'listened to' spot all together.

Do you ever listen to the podcasts, etc on your computer? Or, plug in the iPhone without syncing?

I have found that iTunes will use the 'listened to' spot from the computer when syncing AND that if I plug in the iPhone just to charge without syncing, it loses track of the 'listened to' spot all together.

Nope! I always sync when I plug in the phone.

I think what Huskr is trying to say is that if the listened to point on the podcast on your computer is the beginning, when you sync iTunes will reset the play point of the podcast to the beginning on your iPod because that's where it is on the computer copy. The only way I have been able to get my playlists to stay at the spot I like is by using a wall charger to charge the iPod until I am through with that playlist or podcast.

Really? Mine have always synced as expected (unless I'm missing something here, which is quite possible!)

i've had the same experience as Graham on this one.

When i have listened to a partial podcast on my iPhone or iPod then sync to the computer the play point is always synced over as well. Typically i'll start a podcast in the car on the way home, and finish at my computer after a sync.

The only times i've noticed the iPhone losing its place in a playlist is either after a sync, or after a full charge (even that is rare).

I've only seen this happen when I've started listening to a podcast on my iphone, and then started listening on my mac before syncing. In this case, the mac wins when the two sync up.

I've only seen this happen when I've started listening to a podcast on my iphone, and then started listening on my mac before syncing. In this case, the mac wins when the two sync up.

I understand that. That's not my complaint, though:

There are two things (probably related, probably software) that are going on:

1. My iPhone (but NOT my iPod; I tested this last week) starts at where I left off (for a half second), then jumps back to the beginning. This occurs specifically for partially-listened to podcasts that have been re-ordered in my playlist in favor of newer arrivals.

2. Sometimes, podcasts NEVER listened to start somewhere in the middle of the track. This will occur for tracks that are "downlist" in the playlist (that is, NEVER for the first one in the list, that I've been able to detect).

All this occurs after my morning sync and away from the computer, so it has NOTHING to do with syncing or listening to tracks on the computer and then starting up from the phone later after syncing.

And please note: my iPod behaves correctly, just the iPhone is messed up like this. And (as I said): it seems to have started after a recent update to the iPhone software, though I can't be completely certain of that, my memory being what it is.

BTW: I thought to do a complete reset and restore of the phone, but following Apple's instructions for doing so don't seem to work with a 3GS with 3.x software. Either they haven't updated the page or my phone has more problems than I think!

Anyone know how to reset/restore a 3GS iPhone? Maybe time to go see a Genius...

Kim

Very strange. My best guess is that it has something to do with the podcasts moving list position. i can't understand why it would be this way, but have you tried to set up the playlist so that the position in the list doesn't change?

Does it do this, for example, if the podcast is in a playlist all by itself (or in in small group?)

Very strange. My best guess is that it has something to do with the podcasts moving list position. i can't understand why it would be this way, but have you tried to set up the playlist so that the position in the list doesn't change?

Does it do this, for example, if the podcast is in a playlist all by itself (or in in small group?)

Well, it's a smart playlist, so it changes every day. It accumulates all podcasts that have a play count less than 1.

I tend to reorder things every morning before I sync, even if I haven't finished everything from the day before, because I have certain things I want to listen to, like Mac OS Ken, first thing every morning.

This was not a problem on my iPod last week, but is a problem on the iPhone. The phone is a newly acquired 3GS. My old 2G model never showed this problem. Only the new one has misbehaved, and as I said: I think only after the last update of iPhone OS 3.x.

Since no one else is owning up to having this problem, I guess it's a very obscure bug triggered by my use case or (as I thought) a corrupted update.

Probably I'll have to go see a Genius, I guess.

Edited by kimgh

I set up a smart playlist similar to what you do for your podcasts, and I have "remember position" set to yes on the iphone and yes on all my music in my library, however the only time the position gets screwed up is when I pull the headphones out and I don't stop or pause the playback by using the control on the iphone or the controller on the headphones.

Does sound like a weird bug, Kim. i noticed that after upgrading to 3.x playlists that used to be at the top (starting with * or !) are now at the bottom. Only happens on the iPhone. Never iTunes or my iPod.