car1son

Snow Leopard S/W Compatibility

I haven't even ordered Snow Leopard yet But I did update some prefpanes this morning, anyway.

Logitech Control Center 3.0 (for my MX Revolution.) The Logitech website didn't say this was 10.6 ready, didn't say it wasn't.

USB Overdrive. Snow Leopard update not ready yet, promised very soon.

MenuMeters 1.3. Hasn't been updated since 2006, website silent about 10.6. I bet not.

Perian 1.1.4. Website says PrefPane is 10.6 compatible, not sure if that means it's also Quicktime X compatible.

Flip4Mac 2.2.3.7 was latest, 2.3.0.7BETA is the version labeled "Snow Leopard Compatible."

Mira 1.3.3. TwistedMelon says it wil not work with Snow leopard, they are "working on it."

Wacom Pen Tablet (Wacom site only lists 10.4 and 10.5 as supporting my Graphire GTE tablet.)

Little Snitch

How about iMovie 6HD, which I still use? Think it'll still work in snowy Quicktime X?

Pixelmator site suggests 1.4.1 (already available) will work with Snow Leopard.

TechTool Pro 5. Micromat is still saying they haven't confirmed that it works with Snow Leopard's "commercial release".

VMWare Fusion 2.0.5 describes "experimental support for 10.6 snow leopard (32-bit only.)" I'm not currently using this, but would like the option.

I guess we also now have another question about software: Will it run under Snow Leopard? Will it run in 64-bit mode?

I believe in James Thurber's parable, "He who hesitates is sometimes saved."

Well, some solutions

1) Menumeters - You still want to use an application that hasn't been updated since 2006? Why not try iStat Menus very current and almost the same functionality

2) Perian and Flip4Mac and iMovie 6 ... there is an option to install Quicktime 7 in the Utilities folder during Snow Leopard installation. That will play anything QT X won't handle and in the meantime there's always VLC

3) 64-bit compatibility - According to Macworld, whenever a 32-bit pref pane opens up, System prefs will pop up a message to tell you it's restarting in 32 bit mode and most pref panes will work fine that way. When it then encounters a 64 bit pane it pops up a message and restarts back in 64-bit mode.

I have a quote of my own " He who hesitates IS sometimes saved .... by those who embrace progress and have the courage to jump in with both feet and try things as they are released" ;) LOL

I can offer a Masterclass in prevarication... the five Macs under my roof (three G4 and two Intel) all running Tiger still - if only because I've not been compelled to upgrade - Time Machine being all that I really could do with. Still, with a few applications which I'm eying to buy needing Leopard I'll finally do tomorrow what I've long planned to do... buy a Family Pack for that. (I've found a supplier with 38% off the list price - maybe a shelf-clearing exercise given where we are.) That said I'll still not upgrade the Intel boxes until Snow Leopard has shown its spots as I'll be doing a double-jump (i.e. Tiger to Snow Leopard via Leopard) starting from a complete re-install. Given that I'll be fully-licenced I could do a single jump according to reports but I don't want to lose any applications which I've paid a fair whack for so maybe Snow Leopard will have to wait if such are not compatible with it. It would be good if Apple published a list of what will and what won't work (like they do here for installation time) but I doubt that will happen - which I can understand - users needing to go to the supplier web sites for the last word. Still, threads like this are useful - and I hope this becomes a Pinned one as the danger is, as usual with OS releases, that there will be several to wade through.

Edited by Harry_The_Bustard

My command and conquer game is now dog slow in snow leopard. Might have to rename the os to Slow Leopard?

Of all the conflicts... I'm having trouble with iTunes.

First, I've had this issue before, but it went away, until SL.

I bought a Mac Mini, to use it strictly as a media player. I was having the issue of "skipping", and choppiness when playing video on iTunes, and once it kicked in, it stayed, extending to the mouse appearing jumpy, and the screen saver being choppy. That was with 10.5.6. Upgrading to .7 fixed things. Upgrading to .8, didn't cause any problem. I was sure that 10.6 was going to be fine, but now I'm back to the old choppiness, although admittedly not as bad as it was under 10.5.6.

Any leads, clues, suggestions?

Thanks

This might be useful: http://snowleopard.wikidot.com/

I just sent an email into Micromat regarding the status of their Techtools Pro compatibility. we'll see.

lorentzd

I just sent an email into Micromat regarding the status of their Techtools Pro compatibility. we'll see.

lorentzd

Let's see, I'll reply to my own post... just got back a response from the great folks at Micromat... here it is:

"TechTool Pro 4 is not Snow Leopard compatible. For compatibility, you will need to upgrade to TechTool Pro 5 (we expect a Snow Leopard compatible version will be available within a couple of weeks). For further information about upgrading, you can contact Micromat Sales at 800-829-6227 or sales@micromat.com."

So it is not compatible, yet...

lorentzd

I might have missed something but I read that as them saying you will have to upgrade to version 5 ( more $$$ ? ) to get a Snow Leopard compatible version.

Yep, thats what I read. And I have no problem paying for them to continue development.

Appletalk for older printers. I have started a thread on this.

Don’t hold your breath about LPD and IPP working, I have found it doesn’t, and Apple tech support confirmed this with me.

Appletalk for older printers. I have started a thread on this.

Don’t hold your breath about LPD and IPP working, I have found it doesn’t, and Apple tech support confirmed this with me.

As I pointed out in your other thread, that is due more to legacy hardware incompatibility ( ie as in your case still using Parallel port printers ), than it is a software compatibility issue.

Since SL only runs on Intel Macs, the number of people still using such technology must be minimal

Edited by Dolphbucs