Sign in to follow this  
John Bowdler

Site setting

Hi folks,

I'm setting up business as a freelance proofreader (in the UK) so I guess I need an effective website.

But (you'll be amazed!) I've never done this before.

How do I ensure that I create an effective site related to my (potential) customers' needs?

How do I go about getting a good domain name?

As a website neophyte, I'd be grateful for any advice (or business!) you can give me.

Fanks!!

PS I've got an iMac and iWork 09.

Go to a professional. As someone who's done this to make a living in the past (and still does to some extent), it's really not something you can do without quite a bit of expertise. iWeb would be fine for a personal messing about type site, but if the site is for your business, you'll want it professionally designed. I liken getting a site done to messing about under the bonnet of your car - I wouldn't do it cos I know bugger all about how cars work, I leave it to people who know what they're doing!

Go to a professional. As someone who's done this to make a living in the past (and still does to some extent), it's really not something you can do without quite a bit of expertise. iWeb would be fine for a personal messing about type site, but if the site is for your business, you'll want it professionally designed. I liken getting a site done to messing about under the bonnet of your car - I wouldn't do it cos I know bugger all about how cars work, I leave it to people who know what they're doing!

Nice one.

Thanks a lot, Graham.