Dr. Elwin Ransom

Saving/loading workspace configurations

Have any of you smart people figured out how to save a workspace? I'm working on my dissertation, and I need multiple files open in different spaces. As it is, I have to remember which files I had open, and then move them to their designated space. I've assigned the applications to their spaces in Spaces settings, but all of each application's individual files open in that one space assigned to the application that opens it. If I have to restart my computer or one of the applications I use, I have to go in and manually open the files and move them back to their spaces. You can see why I'd love to have the ability to load up a particular configuration on demand. Is there an app for this? My friend mentioned Automator, but would I have to be Andy Ihnatko to program it? Thanks in advance for your help!

Edited by Dr. Elwin Ransom

Dolphbucs    2

You got me stumped. The only thing I could come up with is to assign each app to a different space and then use a launcher program like LaLL ( an old PPC app BTW ) to launch all windows and apps you want .... but like you said, this would launch all windows of a given app in the same space. What we would need would be software that would basically do what the OS does when the computer goes into hibernation ( save everything to the HD ) but make that data still available after a restart. But I have no clue how to accomplish this. It would be quite useful though.

Thanks for the response. I presumed that this would require specialized software and feared that it was yet to be developed.

I agree that this would probably be widely useful. Maybe someone could put a bug in the right person's ear...

Graham    1

Opening files in automator is a no brainer. Unfortunately, there aren't any actions for spaces. You'd be looking at sending the keyboard shortcuts to specify each space I think. All doable tho.

The way I'd do it would be this (in pseudo-code at the moment)

- Applescript to tell system events to send keyboard shortcut for space 1

- Open specified finder items for space 1

- Applescript to tell system events to send keyboard shortcut for space 2

- Open specified finder items for space 2

- Applescript to tell system events to send keyboard shortcut for space 3

- Open specified finder items for space 3

- Applescript to tell system events to send keyboard shortcut for space 4

- Open specified finder items for space 4

Assuming you've not changed the defaults, I could whip this up pretty quickly.

Dolphbucs    2

Brilliant as usual Graham. That would indeed do the trick. A combination of using an app like LaLL to launch the apps, specifying each of those apps which space to launch in and then your suggested script would do what the OP requested. Thanks.