smc935

unlocking iPhone as instructed by AT&T...???

I have an iPhone 3G (not 3Gs) I purchased refurb. I was on the AT&T wireless web site paying my bill and noticed that there were instructions on how to "unblock" the iPhone. Here's the exact cut and paste, except that I've changed the name and code it gave me...

>>>

To unblock your SIM card, follow the instructions below on your phone.

Apple iPhone 3G

John Doe

PUK Code : 12345678

How to Unblock your SIM Card

You'll need your phone in hand to unblock your SIM Card.

First, enter the 8-digit PUK code, then press OK/Yes.

Note: Some Motorola phone users will need to enter **05* if "enter PUK" is not already displayed. After entering **05*, then enter the 8-digit PUK code and press OK.

Select a new PIN code, then press OK/Yes.

Re-enter the PIN code, then press OK/Yes.

If the codes were entered successfully, the phone is ready for use.

>>>

Am I understanding that this unlocks my iphone, allowing me to put another SIM card, such as a Tmobile card or international card using the same network technology into the iPhone and have it work?

Has anybody actually followed this process?

Thanks

News to me, but I think I must be one of those rare people who haven't had any problems with the Death Star (A T & T)

No, a PUK code is required when you've enable a SIM code to unlock the phone and have forgotten it. Nothing to do with using the phone on other carriers.

I have an iPhone 3G (not 3Gs) I purchased refurb. I was on the AT&T wireless web site paying my bill and noticed that there were instructions on how to "unblock" the iPhone. Here's the exact cut and paste, except that I've changed the name and code it gave me...

>>>

To unblock your SIM card, follow the instructions below on your phone.

Apple iPhone 3G

John Doe

PUK Code : 12345678

How to Unblock your SIM Card

You'll need your phone in hand to unblock your SIM Card.

First, enter the 8-digit PUK code, then press OK/Yes.

Note: Some Motorola phone users will need to enter **05* if "enter PUK" is not already displayed. After entering **05*, then enter the 8-digit PUK code and press OK.

Select a new PIN code, then press OK/Yes.

Re-enter the PIN code, then press OK/Yes.

If the codes were entered successfully, the phone is ready for use.

>>>

Am I understanding that this unlocks my iphone, allowing me to put another SIM card, such as a Tmobile card or international card using the same network technology into the iPhone and have it work?

Has anybody actually followed this process?

Thanks

My guess? They are not talking about "unlocking" the phone (which SURELY cannot be THAT simple to do!), but "unBLOCKING," as in changing a security password(??)

NO carrier would advertise or make it simple to unlock a handset from their service.

BTW: why is the reference to "some Motorola phones" in there, if the instructions are for an iPhone 3G? Sounds VERY fishy to me.

NO carrier would advertise or make it simple to unlock a handset from their service.

T-Mobile has a policy of giving a code to unlock their phones after a certain period of time from initiation of contract. If my memory serves it's 90 days.