shockwavedave

A syncing challenge

I have an old iMac G5 I just couldn't sell, due to some weird video/monitor issues. It is still very workable, so I've decided to repurpose it and put it in my teaching studio. The iMac G5 is 1st gen, has a fresh copy of Tiger, and a new 320gb hard drive. My home computer is a black MacBook with Snow Leopard. I also have an iPhone 3g and ipod classic 160gb. The music store I teach at has open wifi. I treat my MacBook almost like a desktop, it is always on and rarely leaves my desk.

I would like to be able to sync calendars, address book, mail, and the iTunes library. I use IMAP gmail accounts, so that shouldn't be a problem. For the music library, I thought I could just copy my music onto the larger hard drive, though play counts wouldn't be in sync, and I enjoy accurate play counts. I thought about VPN, but how secure would that be over the open wifi? Would there be lag searching the 8,000+ track library, and playing the files? Would I be able to burn CDs through the VPN from the iTunes on the MacBook to the iMac in the studio? The best solution I have for this problem is to use the iPod in manual mode on the iMac and take it home to keep everything in sync.

Right now, I manage my calendar/contacts through the MacBook or iPhone. I prefer managing my student calendar through iCal than through the slightly limited interface. So if I can use iCal at the studio it would be a bonus. I wouldn't mind having to pass the schedule through gCal (and sharing it with my better half, who uses and shares her gCal with me) but ultimately I would like to use the iCal interface.

Thoughts on how I can make this work? Or because of the iMac G5 being on Tiger, am I out of luck? Thanks.

Dolphbucs    2

Yeah, if the iMac G5 were on Leopard you could use Mobile Me to sync everything else besides the iTunes Library. There is , as yet, no way to "sync" iTunes libraries. The best you can do so far is to put your entire iTunes Folder ( library files, Itunes music folder, etc. ) on a portable external drive and have each computer use that for its iTunes ( or of course use your "manual mode" solution ).

You can get Mobile Me through Amazon for $69/yr and I'll bet now that Snow leopard is out, the price of a Leopard upgrade will be dropping shortly.

Graham    1

You keep mentioning VPN here, and I fail to see where it would be useful in this case? Aren't the two machines on the same network? VPN is for remote access to your network over the internet - and yes, if you're worried about security, VPN is designed to be secure. Everything is transmitted over and encrypted tunnel. We use ARD over VPN to do remote admin on all our Xserves.

Also, it is unlikely that you will still be able to get Leopard shortly - apple traditionally only sell the current OS. For example, we were told by our supplier to buy any new Xserves we might need last week as all new ones will come with 10.6 server and 10.5 server isn't available anymore. So buy it now if you're going to upgrade!

The 2 computers would be on different networks. iMac G5 would be on the open wi-fi at the music store I work at, and the MacBook would be at home on that network. I really don't want to sink any $ into it upgrading since I am not sure how long the machine will last. I just didn't know if I could VPN from Tiger to SL and thought that might be a way to keep things in sync.

Dolphbucs    2
Also, it is unlikely that you will still be able to get Leopard shortly - apple traditionally only sell the current OS. For example, we were told by our supplier to buy any new Xserves we might need last week as all new ones will come with 10.6 server and 10.5 server isn't available anymore. So buy it now if you're going to upgrade!

But wouldn't Apple keep 10.5 on the market a bit longer if only for those that still have PowerPC Macs? That is going to be their highest upgrade option. I realize it won't be around forever, but I would think 10.5 would still be available until at least mid 2010 for those users.

Then again maybe that's what you mean by "shortly"

Edited by Dolphbucs

Graham    1

Nope, that's not what I mean at all. I mean I'd be surprised to see it on sale once current stocks run out. I don't believe there are any PPC macs that are still covered by applecare (less than 3 years old - the last PPC mac, the PowerMac G5 was phased out in August 2006), so that will mean that in apple's eyes they are no longer supported.

The upgrade path that apple would wish you to take (since they are a hardware company primarily after all) would be to buy a new mac.

Dolphbucs    2

Back to the OP's question ... iTunes 9's new Home Share while not exactly what was asked for, would accomplish most of what is needed.

I wonder if the Home Share shares data such as play counts. For example, say I had a wife and she played a song on her laptop, and I played the same song later on my desktop, do both computers show the play count for that song as 2? It doesn't really matter though, as the computers I am wanting to sync are on different networks, one at home, and open public wifi at work.

And I suppose I could try to find Leopard for the PPC through a seller other than Apple, but I really don't want to sink any more $ into this machine that will probably die soon anyways.

Dolphbucs    2

I don't think Home Share will sync play counts, etc. But if your computers are on different networks, in your situation I think the only option is the external drive library I suggested before.