Sign in to follow this  
Shaun

Time Machine

I do not have an external hard drive large enough to use as a time machine drive. Can I tell time machine to use two external drive to back up onto? Or do I need to buy another drive big enough to back up onto?

Time Machine will only back up to a single volume (at a time - you can change the Time Machine volume for redundancy or extra history, but it needs a single volume for the backup data.)

I have not tried this myself, but you might consider setting up your two smaller disks as a "Concatenated Raid" (aka Spanning) using Disk Utility. That collects two physical disks as a single logical volume, which you could then designate as the Time Machine volume. (Open Disk Utility, select Disk Utility Help, and check out the RAID instructions on how to use the RAID tab to make a concatenated RAID.) Depends on how much tinkering you want to go through to avoid buying a new, larger HD.

A raid in that manner is no a backup. If either one of the drives dies, then the whole raid set is useless. Buy a decently sized hard drive, they're not very expensive now. Also, you should be looking into a bootable clone of some sort, like SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner. They're much more reliable than Time Machine.