Sign in to follow this  
ramtha

I think Longhorn Vista will be insanely great.

I think Windows Longhorn Vista could be the OS that Microsoft users have deserved for a long time.

You only have to watch (for as long as you can bare it) MTV, or any one of the million lifestyle channels on TV these days, to see that banality and anything with a built-in, short-term shelf life is "what people want".

I hope Vista follows that trend and tries to do so many "cool" things that it positively redefines the term bloat-ware to a new height of power hungriness. And I hope "they" all run out and buy new Dell boxes to supply it's demands.

And you know why I wish this?

For one, even if I didn't wish for it, it's going to happen anyway.

Two. Not only will OS X absolutely scream on the cheeper, more available, more upgradable, better supported chips which Windows Bloat-Ware will drive the demand for, but once people realise all the power in the world won't re-write the flawed OS model Vista is based upon, and they still get virus' and they still have to restart every five minutes, and they still have to download security patches every week they may well, eventually, ditch Microsoft on home machines all together. And guess who's favorite computer company will be right there to fill the void?

Bill Gates knows only too well how major corporations are toppled from their perch, it was his company which did it to IBM / CPM / UNIX / Apple et cetera.

Bill's betting the farm on Vista, you only have to read the news wires to see how frustrated MS developers are how many modules which they report to MS as being problematic are getting pulled from the first release to know MS are doing everything they can, just to get a stable build out.

The problem (for them) being every module they pull out reduces the incentive for XP'ers to upgrade and increases the appeal of OS X, not to mention the impending Intel switch and all the connotations that throws up, visa-vie legacy Windows apps running native on OS X, cheeper hardware, faster chips and so on.

I'd go as far as to say we NEED Vista to be as good as Microsoft can make it - because that which those of us who instinctively know what they stand for is everything that's wrong with the world, is an understanding much greater than mere interfaces and clock speeds, instant gratification, the buzz of "the now". It's about the difference between what's right and what's wrong.

The best way for us to finally give the creative freedom of a proper OS back to the world, is to simply wait for MS to dig their own grave. Power to their elbow then!

i seriously think vista is going to be a flop and possibly the most bloated os ever put out

i seriously think vista is going to be a flop and possibly the most bloated os ever put out

Amen.

Didn't you mean to say that you think Windows Vista will be greatly insane? :mrgreen: :D/

It's interesting to note that it is much easier for a novice/script kiddie to hack into Windows NT/2000/XP than it is to get into Windows 95/98. The reason is that the NT based OSs have server fuctionality built in. Yes they are "secured" but it is much more secure not to have the functionality at all. Tell me how many people need a web sever built into their desktop OS?

It's interesting to note that it is much easier for a novice/script kiddie to hack into Windows NT/2000/XP than it is to get into Windows 95/98.   The reason is that the NT based OSs have server fuctionality built in.  Yes they are "secured" but it is much more secure not to have the functionality at all.  Tell me how many people need a web sever built into their desktop OS?

I've tried to figure out how to turn things like this off and on in Windows before, firewall, file server et cetera. It's almost a physical pain, right in your belly, or like having a migraine or toothache. There's absolutely nothing you can do about it except close your eyes for an hour and hope it goes away.

Of course, on Mac, it's a button. And they ask me why I prefer Apple. Some people will never learn.

I agree to a point jorellh, but I have a web server (Apache - httpd) built into my version of Tiger. I just have to switch it on. I also have an FTP server, a SMB server (have you never needed Windows file sharing on a Mac ??) and an SSH server (amongst others) IF I turn them on. That was one of the problems with Windows. All the services you may not need were/are enabled by default, rather than the other way round, and if you didn't know what you were doing, you probably didn't even know they were running, let alone how to turn them off. I believe they have changed this now in Vista. The approach should be ensuring that they are disabled as default, rather than penalising users by not supplying them in the first place. You may not need a web-server as a home user, but the next guy may need an intranet web server on his office based LAN.

As OS X is based around BSD, that means by heritage it is a NOS, and will come with all the tools and services to allow me to use it as a server for certain things (mentioned above) if need be. It is no different from any other NOS such as NT, 2000 Server, XP, Netware (this is the exception and Novell makes a strict demarcation between server and client OSs), Unix etc. They are all OSs that can be Client based /Server based or both (apart from Netware).

Mac OS X Server will not be much different to OS X, except it comes with more servers installed (LDAP, Kerberos, Open Directory, application, Mail, collaboration, media, etc), support for scaling and distributed systems and more importantly it comes with all of the inbuilt management, diagnostic and administration tools for large scale server projects. You could still buy OS X Server and use it on your Mac Mini or your eMac as a "normal" desktop OS. The difference is in the deployment of the OS and the standard enabled services.

Vista stands for everything wrong with Windows V=viruses, I=infections, S=spyware, T=trojans and A=adware! :lol:

Vista stands for everything wrong with Windows V=viruses, I=infections, S=spyware, T=trojans and A=adware! :lol:

ROFLMAO!!! OK... that is perfect. I hope you do not mind that I forward this along to some Mac biggots at work. :D

Along those lines (although not as funny) is this:

A friend told me this weekend that if you take Windows CE, Windows ME and Windows NT what do you get?

CE + ME + NT = CEMENT

- MT

Ramtha, DON't worship windows like 14 year old girls worship gay boy bands, but tel us how much it sucks. (sucking noise. :P )

Ramtha, DON't worship windows like 14 year old girls worship gay boy bands, but tel us how much it sucks. (sucking noise. :P )

Read what I wrote.

Read what I wrote.

Humm.. that don't say much. Sound more like a rant and doesn't know how to use Windows.

Read what I wrote.

Humm.. that don't say much. Sound more like a rant and doesn't know how to use Windows.

Do people like you actually read what you've written before you click send?

Do people like you actually read what you've written before you click send?

You'd be surprised. We also seem to have a fair amount of kids on this forum...

im only a teen but i try not to double post or be an asshole (except for that one time to you adamf i think sorry again)

We also seem to have a fair amount of kids on this forum...
an nun ov um seam abel to spell proply or yoos compleat wrds or sntncs ither... :lol:

hey... as an 18 year old, i resent being associated with the bad typing skills of Punk Mac Geek. (they're so horrible!) us kids are young, but we've got stuff to contribute.... plus, we're bored...

Hey, no offence meant red... I was only joking around. I just find it funny that these guys are sat in front of a full size qwerty keboard, and are not limited to the number of characters in a message, and yet they still seem to feel the need to abbreviate and truncate everything as though they were typing an SMS on a mobile phone. :lol:

Well, by kids I meant maybe early teens or younger. I'm only 20 myself.

i actually never text mesage im just a lazy SOB (ok there i put an abbreviation because i did not want to cuss). plus its usually dark in my room why i type in the maccast forums, becausse once again i am lazy as hell. o and because im 1337 beootches lol jk. Also i'll try not to use so much 1337 speak. sorry.

Have you ever seen a 16y/o girl send a text message? I think they could beat me with a full qwerty keyboard.

Have you ever seen a 16y/o girl send a text message?  I think they could beat me with a full qwerty keyboard.

my friend can fill the screen in like half a minute on her phone.

i actually never text mesage im just a lazy SOB (ok there i put an abbreviation because i did not want to cuss). plus its usually dark in my room why i type in the maccast forums, becausse once again i am lazy as hell. o and because im 1337 beootches lol jk. Also i'll try not to use so much 1337 speak. sorry.

OK.. Here goes my translation attempt....

"I actually never use text messaging. I am a lazy SOB (OK - I abbreviated this because I did not want to curse). It is also usually dark in my room when I type my messages to the MacCast forums, because, once again, I am lazy as hell. Oh - and because I'm elite, bitches !! Ha ha. I am only joking. Also I will try not to use so much elite speak. Sorry."

Phew... that was hard work !! I think I got it all correct. I had to actually look up the word "beootches" in Google, as I'm afraid I'm not that fluent in 1337.

I think what he is trying to tell us here folks, is that his typing is piss poor, as he is doing it in the dark, because he is meant to be in bed fast asleep, and he doesn't want to put the light on because his mummy and daddy will know he is being naughty and playing on his computer. You should have got a PowerBook Punk... the keyboard is illuminated, and you could use that under your bedsheets in complete darkness and still manage to see what you are typing. No excuses then !! :lol:

PS: You spelt "remember" incorrectly in your signature. #-o