Sign in to follow this  
mynewromantica

Will upgrading my RAM or Hard Drive void my warranty?

I just bought a new 13 inch Unibody MacBook Pro and I want to upgrade the RAM and possibly the HD, but I noticed that the bottom doesn't have anywhere to open and put the RAM. I did notice some screws around the edge but I don't know if pulling the bottom off will void my warranty.

Technically, no. Although if you break anything whilst doing it, your warranty will obviously be voided. Also, if you have any issues with your mac, make sure you keep the old HD and ram to put back in, because apple will blame any problem on them and refuse to touch it.

Having said all that, it's very very easy to upgrade both the memory and HD, even on these "sealed" models. Take off the screws on the bottom and you're in.

Technically, no. Although if you break anything whilst doing it, your warranty will obviously be voided. Also, if you have any issues with your mac, make sure you keep the old HD and ram to put back in, because apple will blame any problem on them and refuse to touch it.

Having said all that, it's very very easy to upgrade both the memory and HD, even on these "sealed" models. Take off the screws on the bottom and you're in.

Thanks for the answer, but just so you know, I had an issue with some 3rd party RAM on my iMac and I called Apple and they said that if I bought Ram from a place that had RAM that was specifically tested on Apple machines, such as Crucial, that any problems would still be covered under the Apple Care, but any other RAm they cannot guarantee anything.

Well, in practise, that is what we call in the trade bullsh1t. I've been in this game long enough to know that apple will try and get out of applecare warranties as much as they can.